Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
'SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself.' – Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seek out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
Manufacturing Engineer (Merlin Thrust Chamber Assembly – 1st Shift)
- Support day-to-day production of the Merlin Thrust Chamber, which includes manufacturing processes such as Machining, EB & TIG Welding, Precision Cleaning, NDT, Heat Treat and Assembly.
- Communicate on a daily basis with supporting departments such as Production, Maintenance, Quality and Design Engineering to ensure that product is delivered on time to the correct quality.
- Analyze manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team. Support technical decisions on issues throughout the company.
- Create and manage Mfg BOMs, work instructions and specifications.
- Work closely with design engineers, internal machine shops, and external vendors to ensure specifications are met.
- Manage suggested improvements to process instructions and general planning.
- Determine work needed to eliminate completed assemblies or piece parts from MRB.
- Help with resource management, planning, coordinating and interfacing with our own home-built Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Develop production procedures/processes.
- Analyze manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team.
- Support process improvement projects to continuously improve production processes.
- Support and, when required, lead problem containment and root cause & corrective action investigations.
- Develop tooling to improve Quality, Delivery or Cost performance.
- B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems, or Manufacturing Engineering or similar discipline.
- 2 years in a manufacturing environment.
- Lean manufacturing training and/or hands-on experience.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- M.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems, or Manufacturing Engineering or similar discipline desired.
- Design for Manufacturability and assembly.
- Technically well-rounded and displays a proficiency in the basic principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials.
- Design and analysis (Finite Element Analysis (FEA)/structural/static loads) experience.
- Knowledge in automated test systems for pressure and leak testing using instrumentation such as flow meters, pressure transducers and thermocouples.
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, and fault analysis.
- Pareto Analysis, Root Cause and Corrective Action experience. Experience performing PFMEAs (preferably leading). Passion for problem solving at any level for the good of the company.
- 5S, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma background.
- Labview experience is a plus.
- CAD experience (NX & Teamcenter a plus).
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) experience.
- Capable of handling multiple projects concurrently in a fast paced environment.
- Must be highly self-motivated and organized with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Must be able to work all required hours, weekends, and overtime, as needed.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.