Sr Product Mgr - Hadoop
Engineering | Bay Area, CA
The Senior Product Manager for Hadoop will be responsible helping to drive the strategy and execution of Pivotal’s Hadoop product line. We are seeking someone who can lead the direction and adoption of Hadoop products and services that help establish Pivotal HD as one of the leading Hadoop distributions in the marketplace. The ideal candidate will have both a technical background in data platform products and will be able to collaborate with cross functional teams to create, prioritize, and deliver against the strategic vision and product roadmaps.
We are looking for someone to be a lead product owner for key components of the Pivotal HD product. In this role you will define and prioritize product features, maintain the product backlog, and make sure that the Pivotal HD team is working on the most important features at all time.
- Partner with engineers, architects, the field, and customers on the creation of product vision, strategy, roadmap, and communications for the Pivotal HD product.
- Develop and maintain pricing and cost models around product delivery and work with stakeholders on investment decisions
- Understand market trends and customer requirements and use the to drive informed product decisions, compelling product presentations, and complete competitive differentiators
- Effectively collaborate with product and technical teams to drive innovation and specify features, prioritize enhancements, and translate into requirements
- Participate in the concept, development, launch, and sustain phases of the product lifecycle
- Support marketing and field efforts with well-articulated product feature/benefit descriptions, participation in prospect/customer calls, and as a presenter at industry events.
Experience, Required Skills, and Education
- Experience building highly technical, distributed data systems (e.g. Hadoop, NoSQL, MPP database)
- 3 to 7 years of experience as a Product Manager working with an engineering team
- Proven success in managing products, launching new products or services and building broad-based support for new ideas from concept phase to launch and beyond
- Experience with and deep understanding of Apache Hadoop and related technologies such as HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, and Hive
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent listening, oral, and written communication/presentation skills with strong ability to influence people at all levels and in various functions
- Good understanding of database concepts, architecture, and design, including data warehousing approaches, industry standards, and best practices
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical field a must
- Software development experience as an engineer, particularly in distributed systems
- Experience working with very large datasets with Petabytes of data distributed across large data clusters
- Experience with the requirements and challenges of managing distributed data systems within large scale data centers, including management tools and utilities, pros & cons of virtualization, etc
- MS/MBA with demonstrated business and commercial interest and aptitudes
« Back to Openings