Our engineering team is both distributed and collaborative, which means a better workplace if you’re independent and self-motivated. The best candidates will demonstrate a deep understanding of all aspects of responsive front-end development, including usability, progressive enhancement, SEO, analytics, and delighting the user while maintaining security, cross-platform/browser compliance, accessibility, scalability and performance standards.
Why work for Safari Books Online?
● We value your time and attention. We don’t ask you to give up your life for your job, and we try not to waste your time with unnecessary overhead.
● We’re proud of a proven business model built on real technical learning and professional development. Technologists use our products to make the web better every day.
● We’re committed to helping our employees truly broaden their talents and ambitions. We encourage managers to learn Github and developers to understand our P&L.
● We welcome diversity and non-traditional paths into the developer profession, and advocate strongly for hiring the right person as opposed to the right combination of tech keywords.
● Maintain and extend existing responsive, progressively enhanced HTML5 web apps
● Familiarity with concepts from the various JS frameworks such as Spine, Knockout, Ember, Angular, etc. as well as CSS preprocessors (specifically Sass).
● Fluency with HTML5 and CSS3
● Opinionated but open-minded when it comes to JS code conventions
● Experience with version control systems, especially git
● Proven real-world experience with mobile web development
● Experience with testing, particularly JS unit tests and Selenium inside a large JS code-base
● Knowledge of Django and Python is important
Our team is highly distributed and includes engineers who work remotely from Oregon, Maryland, and Colorado; in addition to others who commute into our offices in Boston and the San Francisco Bay Area. This position is open to any US resident.