Engineering | Boston, MA, United States
Zipcar, the world’s largest car-sharing company, is looking to add new senior talent to our Engineering team.
Today, Zipcar provides hundreds of thousands of people with a viable alternative to traditional car ownership, saving them money, time and headaches. Around the world—from coast to coast, across Canada, the UK, and college campuses in between—people are making the decision to live car free and enjoying the convenience and environmental benefits of having “wheels when you want them”.
As we continue to grow our operations, we are looking for talented, passionate people with great ideas to join the Zipcar family. We aim to create an environment that is supportive, diverse, and as fun as our brand. If you’re results-oriented, dedicated, and ready to contribute to an unparalleled member experience for our community of Zipsters, we encourage you to apply.
To learn more about Zipcar, what we do, and how we do it, visit zipcar.com. For further employment opportunities, visit http://www.zipcar.com/about/jobs
- Love to work as part of a high-performance development team?
- Produce high quality code in a pair programming/TDD environment?
- Like working in a fast-paced Agile environment?
- SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle and MongoDB
- Legacy Systems: TCL/ACS
A lot goes in to making the Zipcar experience seamless to our drivers, whether it's unlocking a car from a mobile phone, optimizing reservation availability lookups, or creating tools to route maintenance teams to vehicles. We need engineers who can look at an end-to-end problem, break it down, and know how to attack it. In the end, we're looking for experienced, product-focused engineers who can fix real problems for real customers in real time.
Zipcar is seeking talented and motivated software engineers to develop Zipcar's core applications. The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in web application development, possess good communication skills, and enjoy problem solving both independently and in Agile team settings.
- Collaborate closely with other software engineers, quality engineers and product management team to enhance the Zipcar experience for both members and internal operations teams.
- Build and iterate on migrating to Zipcar’s next generation platform.
- Implement and document solutions with Engineering, QE, and IT for reported software issues.
- Design and develop improvements to core Zipcar systems, third party interfaces, web-based systems, and internal tools.
- Act as or strive to become the subject matter expert for the Zipcar systems and associated development tools.
- Ensure development is performed within a robust responsive architecture utilizing high standards of software craftsmanship.
- Challenge yourself and other team members to improve upon the Zipcar experience every day.
- Mentor less experienced engineers as appropriate.
- 6-15 years of demonstrated experience developing for high performance, web-based, transactional software system in a highly collaborative environment
- Demonstrable experience with server-side application development using Ruby and/or Java
- Experience with relational database tools and SQL programming; Oracle PL/SQL is a BIG plus
- Experience with development, debugging, and performance tuning of database-backed systems
- BS in CS/Engineering/Mathematics
- You have some OO kung-fu and are not afraid to use it
- Command of your favorite scripting and server side languages; for example: Ruby, PHP, Perl, Python
- Familiar with the Linux operating system and utilities
- Knowledgeable with test driven development (TDD) and behavior driven development(BDD) and debugging
- A strong understanding of the principles of software design, architecture, algorithms, and data structures
- Team player comfortable with Agile development techniques
- Passion for developing software with the best user experience in mind
- Must pass Zipcar Pre-Employment Background check and Drug Screen
As a member of the Zipcar Team you will receive:
- Competitive Compensation
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Free Membership
- Discounts on services, products and much more
While we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted. We regret that phone calls will not be accepted. Zipcar is an EEO Employer - Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled
To all recruitment agencies: Zipcar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Zipcar employees or any other company location. Zipcar is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.