Science | San Francisco or Seattle, United States
Radar Meteorologist Position Overview:
The Climate Corporation is looking for an experienced radar meteorologist to solve real-world problems critical to agriculture. We utilize and develop multi-sensor estimates of precipitation from surface observations, weather radar, satellite, Numerical Weather Prediction models, and more. Our mission is to provide detailed probabilistic estimates of climate variability and weather events that enable farmers around the world to protect and improve their farming operations.
Active areas of research:
- Integration of radar data with rain gauges and other meteorological sources for the purpose of high resolution precipitation estimation.
- Development, testing and evaluation of algorithms for multi-sensor quantitative precipitation estimation.
- Quality control of NEXRAD radar data through statistical verification
- Development of algorithms for large scale data analysis, model development and validation.
- Data assimilation of observational data (surface observations, radar data, satellite data) into Numerical Weather Prediction models.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with a diverse, interdisciplinary team including software engineers, agronomists, statisticians, machine learning specialists, physicists, atmospheric scientists and remote sensing specialists in all aspects of your work.
- Analyse, process and interpret raw output from dual-polarization radars.
- Develop and assess algorithms and processing techniques that use available observations to create highly localized QPE estimates.
- Provide technical support for siting and installation of weather radar to optimize precipitation estimation.
- Plan and execute original, applied research projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Be able to clearly communicate research findings and their relevance in both written and oral formats.
- Write beautiful, robust, testable, well-documented code.
What You Offer:
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science, meteorology, engineering or related field. MS with 2+ years of hands on experience with weather radar processing will also be considered.
- Deep understanding of different types of weather radars, processing techniques and algorithms.
- Experience in interpretation and quality control of raw radar data and signal processing to produce quantitative precipitation estimates.
- Experience working with and interpreting real-world meteorological observations.
- Strong command of an interpreted programming environment such as Python or R.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to do whatever is necessary to develop innovative solutions.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate as a member of a fast-paced, high-performing team.
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of top scientists and engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with a diverse set of top agronomists, statisticians and engineers working together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries, excellent medical benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- We provide lunch, dinner and a large assortment of snacks and drinks to get you through the day
- Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
- Unique opportunity to make a real world impact - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on farmers’ lives and food security
- We strive for the highest quality in everything we do. From the precision of our agronomic models and the performance of our in-house databases, to the food we serve for lunch everyday; we are constantly refining and improving.
- We let you explore personally compelling topics by occasionally taking time to work on independent projects
- We regularly host meet-up groups and tech-talks and encourage participation in relevant workshops and conferences
- 401k matching program
- Gym membership discounts
The Climate Corporation aims to help farmers around the world protect and improve their farming operations with uniquely powerful software, hardware and insurance products. The company’s proprietary Climate Technology Platform™ combines hyper-local weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and high-resolution weather simulations to deliver Climate Basic™ and Climate Pro™, mobile SaaS solutions that help farmers increase yield and improve profitability by making better informed operating and financing decisions.The company is also an authorized provider of the U.S. Federal crop insurance program, offering the industry’s most powerful full-stack risk management solution. In the face of increasingly volatile weather, the global $3 trillion agriculture industry depends on the company’s unique technologies to help stabilize and improve profits and, ultimately, help feed the world.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation:http://vimeo.com/62657628