Science and Engineering | San Francisco or Seattle, United States
The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation. This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible. If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
The Climate Corporation is looking for an experienced atmospheric scientist to solve real-world problems critical to agriculture in seasonal prediction and historical reconstruction of climate conditions. We develop algorithms for statistical inference and simulation of climate from surface weather observations, weather radar, satellite remote sensing, GCMs, and more. Our mission is to provide detailed probabilistic estimates of climate variability and weather events that enable farmers around the world to protect and improve their farming operations.
Active areas of research
- Analysis and interpretation of observations (e.g. satellite, weather stations, radar), and third party products (climate indices, reanalyses, seasonal outlooks)
- High-resolution statistical downscaling
- Ensemble reconstruction of historical weather from multiple proxies
- Dimensionality reduction and feature selection
- Extreme value analysis
- Statistical surrogate models/emulators
- Multivariate spatio-temporal stochastic processes
What you will do
- Collaborate with a diverse, interdisciplinary team including software engineers, agronomists, statisticians, machine learning specialists, mathematicians, and physicists in all aspects of your work.
- Analyse and interpret diverse climate observations, provide expert knowledge of weather patterns and climate signals, evaluate in-house models against best-in-class 3rd party products.
- Develop novel best-in-class models for past and future climatological conditions that will be incorporated in real-world products.
- Plan and execute original, applied research projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Be able to clearly communicate research findings and their relevance in both written and oral formats.
- Write beautiful, robust, testable, well-documented code.
What you bring to the team
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science, meteorology or climate physics.
- Deep understanding of atmospheric physics and implications for modeling past and future climatological conditions.
- Expertise in weather phenomena, particularly in major world agricultural regions.
- Experience in interpretation of climate signals and in developing skillful seasonal climate projections.
- Experience working with and interpreting real-world climatological observations.
- Strong command of an interpreted programming environment such as R, MATLAB, or equivalent.
- Experience with a high-level programming language such as Python or Java is a plus.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to do whatever is necessary to develop innovative products that delight our customers.
- Ability to happily communicate and collaborate as a member of a fast-paced, high-performing team.
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of top scientist and engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- We let you explore personally compelling topics by occasionally taking time to work on independent research projects
- We provide lunch, dinner and a large assortment of snacks and drinks throughout the day.
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, curling, holiday yacht parties, sporting events, etc.
- We actively participate in workshops and scientific conferences such as NIPS, AGU and AMS. We collaborate with research facilities and academic organizations. We also have an in-house seminar series given by both guest lecturers and also our own scientists.
- Our engineers and scientists are encouraged to visit agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used and get feedback.
- Our researchers are encouraged to explore new methodologies and collaborate throughout the research process from brainstorming idea to pair-programming their solutions. Our research platform supports fast iterations and development allowing research to make it quickly into production. We communicate our research results with other scientists and people in the company.
- Unique opportunity to make a real world impact - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on farmers lives and food security.
- We strive for high quality in everything we do. From the precision of our agronomic models and the performance of our in-house databases, to the food we serve for lunch everyday; we are constantly refining and improving.