We’re looking for an elite engineer to join a small, talented team tasked to design and build the next generation of Backcountry’s core backend server systems. Today, in production, we have systems built with Node.js, Angular, Play, Scala, Java 8, Mongo, Neo4J, Activiti, Firebase, and are actively tackling the challenges of bringing legacy systems into the future. No matter how technical you are, there are endless opportunities to stretch yourself, take on new challenges, and solve difficult problems in elegant ways. If working with bleeding-edge technologies and designing/building software to meet current as well as future demands of critical production systems sounds enticing, we should talk!
Backcountry’s engineers are aggressive about finding new technologies to make systems better, faster, more stable, and more interesting to work on. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and rally others around putting it into production. You’ll even have the latest Intellij or Webstorm license to play with! We’re actively replacing legacy systems with brand new technology, and there are no arbitrary standards about what technologies are acceptable. We hold tech talks, host internal conferences as well as hackathons to challenge ourselves and teach one another.
We don’t have ivory tower architects, or pointy-haired managers. Everyone in engineering is technical and our Agile Product Owners are fully-engaged members of their teams. Each developer is expected to help design new solutions, code them, and get them into production quickly. We don’t do lengthy projects (the kind with a tendency to never go live). We believe in continuous delivery, and expect solutions to be proven and refined by getting them in front of users as quickly as possible.
In addition to a first-rate technical and professional culture, the intangibles of working at Backcountry are one-of-a-kind. On any given day, you’ll find engineers backcountry skiing before work, taking lunch laps on mountain bikes, trail running, or meeting up for an evening happy hour. We have deep discounts on everything we sell ($6,000 mountain bikes for $3,200), shared Gold ski passes, discounted season passes and gym memberships, as well as a flexible time off policy. Why? Because we want you to get out there! For technologists equally passionate about the outdoors and open source software, there’s no better place to be. About the Job
- This position works hand in hand with Backcountry’s Merchandising department to develop solutions that will literally revolutionize how we do business.
- Help us rewrite web applications or design new ones from the ground up. Greenfield!
- Modern technologies and approaches: Angular, Node, Mongo, Java, Rest, Spring, Continuous Deployment.
- Full stack. You’ll be working from the database layer all the way to the UI for internal applications.
- Continuously monitor, learn, evaluate, and prototype new technologies and frameworks for potential adoption at Backcountry.
In addition, we prefer experience in several of these areas:
- Expert in at least one major OO language; Java or equivalent.
- Fluent in Object Oriented design (loose coupling, DRY, domain modeling, interfaces, abstraction).
- Strong knowledge of relational databases - Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.
- Passionate about learning unfamiliar technologies – both new and old.
- Obsessive about delivering quality code through automated unit/integration testing and peer review.
Characteristics and Behaviors
- Functional programming
- Spring (especially Spring-Integration)
- Data access frameworks (ORM tools such as Hibernate, JPA, Entity Framework)
- Design and implementation of RESTful APIs
- Build pipelines and continuous deployment
- Working in an agile/scrum environment
Why join the Backcountry Engineering Team?
- Be at the top of your game with a deep curiosity of the latest and greatest in technology and infrastructure with a bias towards self-education when faced with unfamiliar technologies, problems, or objectives.
- Obsess about designing and implementing solutions the “right” way for the long-term health and maintainability of enterprise-scale backend systems.
- Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While we would love for you to have the capability to consistently make good decisions, it is even more important that you accept responsibility when you’ve made bad ones.
- Have a backbone! Strongly advocate your beliefs of what is best for Backcountry. You state your opinions and disagreements directly by remaining candid as well as apolitical.
- Relentlessly escalate the decisions you are most concerned about; for escalation trumps compromise. Yet, once a decision is made, you wholeheartedly commit to it as if it were your own.
The best place to do cutting edge technology work and embrace an outdoor lifestyle!
Reasons to join the Backcountry Engineering Team: Cutting Edge Technology & Proven Systems:
We are committed to owning our technology and constantly evolving to keep pace with modern tools, frameworks, and architecture patterns. We’re actively replacing legacy systems with brand new technology, and there are no arbitrary standards about what technologies are acceptable. “I like that we own and implement many of our core software systems in-house. It puts us in control of our destiny.” Make an Impact:
Our engineers are creative professionals, not order-takers or code monkeys, and they play a significant part in solving important problems at Backcountry. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and get others excited about getting it into production; if you can convince other people it’s a good idea, you can do it. “We are designing and building the foundation of the next generation of software for the company. This is an exciting opportunity (that is rare in an established company) to have a fundamental impact on the design and direction of the future software” Grow, Stretch & Master:
Curiosity is king; we delight in opportunities to take on new challenges and learn new ways of solving problems. There are endless opportunities to stretch your skillsets, take on new challenges, become better leaders, solve difficult problems in elegant ways, and build your career. “Healthy culture within our Engineering department of continuously learning and keeping aware of new tech” Talent Community & Outdoor Lifestyle:
On any given day, you’ll find groups of employees backcountry skiing before coming into work, trail running during lunch, taking a happy hour bike ride, or returning from a kayaking trip. Your coworkers work hard, play hard, and relish in the opportunity to encourage others to try a new outdoor pursuit. There is no better company in the world to feed your passion for technology and the outdoors. “The ability to be creative and adventurous technically here is rare and awesome.” About Backcountry
Backcountry is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate eight online specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Dogfunk, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, WhiskeyMilitia, and Chainlove. Check us out in action here: