Engineering | San Francisco, CA, United States
At HotelTonight, our engineers take enormous pride in the product experiences we deliver to both customers and hotels. We hire engineers who aren't just looking to keep up with what other companies are doing but who want to set a new standard. We strongly value craftsmanship, have some perfectionist tendencies and strive to stay ahead of the constantly changing mobile landscape to ship the best products. We have a deep appreciation for the time and energy others give to open source projects and these communities, and fully embrace giving back to them.
If you are a talented Senior Rails Engineer who:
Has full-stack experience (leaning more toward the back end) building and scaling out sophisticated web and mobile apps AND is looking to join an established start-up with a proven business model, we want to talk to you!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Relentlessly build, evolve and scale Rails applications that power our mobile iOS and Android apps, as well as web interfaces for hotels and the HotelTonight team
- Solve big problems including better tailoring hotel recommendations for customers, making data actionable for hotels and customers, scaling the system as we offer the service to more people in more places, and much more
- Work on systems that are servicing tens of thousands of requests per day at 99.99% uptime
- Make critical architecture decisions, lead code reviews, improve our software development processes, and mentor junior team members
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- A mature (able to make decisions and communicate effectively under pressure and in other tough situations), experienced (worked on multiple systems at scale), pragmatic engineer who loves solving hard problems
- In-depth knowledge and experience with our tech stack: Rails 4, CoffeeScript, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Varnish, IronMQ, IronWorker for ETL, Redshift, Chef, NewRelic, ElasticSearch, and AWS
- 7-10 years experience as a full-stack software developer that leans toward the back end; 3+ years Rails
- Desire to influence the products you are building
- Strongly value being a part of a collaborative team
- A unique perspective - might be from work or outside of work (or maybe even both)
- Bachelor’s degree (or Master’s) in Computer Science required
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- True startup experience — no bureaucracy and a ton of tough decisions that have a real impact on the business.
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the world's most dominant accommodation app of the mobile era.
- Prime SF office location at Market and 5th St. (If you don't live in the SF Bay Area, we'll relocate you here!)
- Generous compensation, pre-IPO stock options, and unlimited vacation! Excellent medical, dental, vision and 401K plans, too.
- Sweet perks — Quarterly travel stipend, catered meals daily, subsidized gym membership at Equinox Sports Club, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and a gong that you’ll get to bang when you ship something amazing.