Product Development | San Francisco, CA, United States
Senior Rails Developer
At HotelTonight, our engineers take enormous pride in building the world’s first mobile-only, personalized online travel agency. Everything we do is centered around making HotelTonight as simple and enjoyable as possible for both hotels and for customers. We are looking for team members who aren't just looking to keep up with what other companies or apps are doing but want to set a new standard. We strongly value craftsmanship, have some perfectionist tendencies and do our best to keep up with the constantly changing mobile and web landscape to put out the best possible product. We have a deep appreciation for the time and energy others give to open source projects and to the communities we keep up with, and fully embrace giving back to them.
We are looking for a talented Senior Ruby/Rails Developer who:
- Has full-stack experience (leaning more toward the back end) building and scaling out non-trivial web / mobile apps. We strongly prefer people who have worked on systems that are servicing millions of requests per day.
- Wants to be an integral part of architecture decisions, lead code reviews, improve our software development processes, and mentor other team members
- Wants to solve big problems including better tailoring hotel recommendations for customers, making data actionable for hotels and customers, scaling the system as we offer the service to more people in more places, and much more
- Is looking to join a start-up with a proven business model and monetization strategy (one that’s well on its way to becoming a household name)
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Help us as we relentlessly build, evolve and scale Rails applications that power our mobile apps, as well as web interfaces for hotels and the HT team
- Solve big problems including better tailoring hotel recommendations for customers, making data actionable for hotels and customers, scaling the system as we offer the service to more people in more places, and much more
- Help make critical architecture decisions, lead code reviews, improve our software development processes, and mentor other team members
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- A mature (able to make decisions and communicate effectively under pressure and in other tough situations), experienced (worked on multiple systems preferably at scale), pragmatic engineer who loves solving hard problems
- Full-stack developer that leans toward the back end. 5+ years experience.
- Desire to influence the products s/he is building
- Strongly value being a part of a team
- A unique perspective. This might be from work or outside of work (or maybe even both)
- Bachelor’s degree with a technology concentration
- Analytics experience (hint: we’re building a lot of this out right now)
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- True startup experience — no bureaucracy and a ton of tough decisions that have a real impact on the business
- A chance to become an expert in mobile travel while it’s a nascent, growing industry
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the next great travel company
- Great SF office location at 5th and Market (if you don’t live in SF but have the legal right to work for any employer in the US, we’ll move you here)
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401K plans. Generous compensation and pre-IPO stock options too!
- Sweet perks — Annual travel stipend, your choice of equipment and a giant monitor, catered lunches and breakfast a few times a week, unlimited coffee and snacks, a partially subsidized gym membership at Sports Club/LA, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and a gong that you’ll get to bang when you ship something amazing.