Engineering | San Francisco, CA, United States
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
At HotelTonight, our engineers take enormous pride in building the world’s first mobile-only, personalized online travel agency. Everything we do is centered around making HotelTonight as simple and enjoyable as possible for customers and hotels. We hire engineers who aren't just looking to keep up with what other companies are doing but who want to set a new standard. We strongly value craftsmanship, have some perfectionist tendencies, and do our best to keep up with the constantly changing mobile and web landscape to ship the best products. We have a deep appreciation for the time and energy others give to open source projects and these communities, and fully embrace giving back to them.
If you are a talented Rails Engineer who:
Has full-stack experience (leaning more toward the back end) building and scaling out non-trivial web and mobile apps AND is looking to join an established start-up with a proven business model and monetization strategy, we want to talk to you!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Help us as we relentlessly build, evolve and scale Rails applications that power our mobile iOS and Android apps, as well as web interfaces for hotels and the HT team
- Solve big problems including better tailoring hotel recommendations for customers, making data actionable for hotels and customers, scaling the system as we offer the service to more people in more places, and much more
- Work on systems that are servicing tens of thousands of requests per day at 99.99% uptime
- Make critical architecture decisions, lead code reviews, improve our software development processes, and mentor junior team members
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- A mature (able to make decisions and communicate effectively under pressure and in other tough situations), experienced (worked on multiple systems preferably at scale), pragmatic engineer who loves solving hard problems
- In-depth knowledge and experience with our tech stack: Rails 4, CoffeeScript, MySQL, Redis, Memecached, Varnish, IronMQ, IronWorker for ETL, Redshift, Chef, NewRelic, and AWS
- 5+ years experience as a full-stack software developer that leans toward the back end
- Desire to influence the products you are building
- Strongly value being a part of a collaborative team
- A unique perspective. This might be from work or outside of work (or maybe even both)
- Bachelor’s degree (or Master’s) with a technology concentration
WHAT YOU'LL GET FROM US
- True startup experience — no bureaucracy and a ton of tough decisions that have a real impact on the business
- A chance to become an expert in mobile travel while it’s a nascent, growing industry
- Camaraderie of an amazing team that is working tirelessly to build the world's most loved hotel apps
- Prime SF office location at Market and 5th St.
- Excellent health, dental, vision and 401K plans. Generous compensation and pre-IPO stock options too!
- Sweet perks — Quarterly travel stipend, catered meals daily, a subsidized gym membership at Sports Club/LA, access to our very own hotel-inspired full bar, and a gong that you’ll get to bang when you ship something amazing.