Resource Development (Fund Raising) | Boston, MA, United States
LOCATION: Boston, MA
DEPARTMENT: Resource Development
REPORTS TO: Loyalty and Retention Marketing Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To execute short and long term strategies to increase mid-level donor revenue. Manage the effective cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment, and stewardship of givers in the range of $1,000 to $9,999 level to maximize annual fund revenue and provide a robust base of prospects for Major Giving. The Special Gift Officers serve as key liaisons between the Major Giving and Direct Marketing teams.
- Manage a portfolio of $5,000 to $9,999 donors and $1,000- $5,000 prospects. Increase current donor retention and revenue by strengthening their relationship with Oxfam through visits, phone, email and mail communication.
- Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, develop quarterly/annual fundraising and stewardship plans for Special Gifts donors.
- Work with the mid-level giving team to implement a comprehensive moves management tracking and donor performance reporting system.
- Move prospects through the stages of identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation in a strategic and efficient manner. Upgrade donors to the Special, Major Donor and Planned Gifts tracks.
- Collaborate with the other fundraising and program staff on events and donor visits to provide donors with more opportunities for involvement.
- Develops persuasive proposals and reports to individual donors and family foundations, meeting all deadlines.
- Strategize with members of the direct marketing team to maximize effectiveness of Special Gifts mail appeals, including seeking their expertise on messaging, and providing feedback based on donor conversations.
- Oversee the acknowledgment process and cultivation mailings for Special Gifts donors, collaborating with administrative staff assigned. Provide clear direction and monitor progress and accuracy of assigned tasks such as productions of lists, acknowledgments, mailing, and special coding and handling (e.g. for unusual gift restrictions or donor advised funds).
- Ensure proper coding of the donors in the portfolio to ensure they are receiving appropriate communications. Review and advise on coding criteria and procedures.
- Develop knowledge about Oxfam programs and keep abreast of Oxfam’s priorities. Build relationships with program and communication staff in order to present motivational information to donors and to answer their questions.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- The incumbent will stay abreast of standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- S/he will develop comprehensive knowledge about Oxfam programs and build relationships with program and communication staff in order to present motivational information to donors and to answer their questions.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Must be able to travel domestically up to 4 weeks/year.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Three to five years related work experience including three years in non-profit fundraising. Must have successful individual donor solicitation experience, both mail programs and personal.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and ability to connect with and inspire people, especially over the phone.
- Good listening and motivational skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, knowledge of Blackbaud or similar CRM databases, and experience with fundraising databases and gift coding.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines. Commitment to proofreading, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to cultivate positive relationships with donors and staff.
- Capacity to see jobs to completion; to set priorities among tasks; to engage constructively in problem solving and to work constructively in a team environment.
- Ability to use discretion, confidentiality and sound judgment.
- High degree of initiative and commitment to goal attainment and quality standards.