Engineering | Redwood City, CA, United States
Shopkick is looking for really smart server-side engineers to help build out our backend and support shopkick's rapid growth!
Shopkick helps consumers discover great deals and earn in-store rewards at over 270,000 major retail locations, making it the indispensable mobile shopping companion for over 10M users and the most-used in-store shopping app in the US (Nielsen data). Since launching in 2010, we have partnered with top retailers like Macy’s, Best Buy, and Target, and with over 150 brands like P&G, Unilever, and L’Oreal to help them connect and engage in-store with our users. We have driven over $1 billion in sales for our partners! In addition to our consumer app, we are the leading player in beacon marketing solutions, with our shopBeacon technology deployed in over 10,000 store locations in the US and Germany. In 2014, shopkick was acquired by SK Telecom, inc. This exciting merger will supercharge shopkick’s US and global expansion and help us achieve our vision to become the world's premiere mobile shopping companion.
shopkick Starts 100-Store iBeacon Trial For American Eagle, Biggest Apparel Rollout Yet
Apple’s iBeacon Comes To Macy’s: Is This The Future of Shopping?
Macy’s Begins Pilot Test of Apple’s iBeacon In Flagship New York, San Francisco Stores
Apple’s iBeacon Potential Emerges in shopkick Macy’s Initiative
shopkick users have earned $25M in rewards, scanned 70M products, and viewed 4B offers
- Design, implement, benchmark, and deploy simple, elegant, high-performance code
- Create scalable infrastructure supporting rapid expansion
- Design and implement flexible APIs supporting location-based services from smart phones
- You have a solid understanding of server-side engineering for web sites
- You are a creative thinker, with a knack for finding the simple “right” answer, in an extensible way
- You like to develop code in an “agile” development, working closely with others throughout the development process
- You have some experience with database design and querying, preferably MySQL
- You have worked on projects that have “scaled big.” You automatically think about distributed systems. It’s likely (and desirable) that you have worked somewhere during a period of dramatic growth, and you’ve got some scars from scaling that have taught you how to approach scalability
- You’re comfortable with the idea of combining data from various sources on the fly, and with figuring out how to get it fast
- You are sensitive to performance issues and routinely instrument code and address bottlenecks with appropriate data models, algorithms, tools, and techniques
- Experience writing server-side code for either web or mobile clients, with some exposure to distributed, high-volume web services. Knowledge of some distributed computing tools of some kind (Hadoop, Scribe, a NoSQL db, etc.) preferred
- Familiarity with at least one open-source application development stack
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL experience preferred).
- BSCS, MSCS or Ph.D/CS
- Experience with service-oriented architectures, using such tools as Thrift, ActiveMQ, etc., preferred
- Experience designing APIs preferred
- Expertise in Python a strong plus. Pylons is an added bonus
- Some experience with client development is a plus