Engineering | Multiple Locations, Alberta, Canada
Our client: Values are the cornerstone their culture and provide guidance on expected behaviors for their employees: Integrity, Trust, Respect for Others, Customer Focus, Commitment to Health, Safety & Environment, Passion to Win
Overview: The Senior Observer will focus on daily recording operations. They will be responsible for taking care of the data-gathering phase of the crew's activities and for planning a quality and efficient recording crew.
You will…Focus on the following areas; Continuous Improvement, Crew Efficiency and Production, Daily Planning, Data Collection/Quality, HSE, Recording Equipment, Relief RCM Duties, Training the Junior Observers
- Creates an environment where informed risk taking is promoted allowing for the discovery and communication of new and improved production methods.
- Focuses all personnel to look for ways to do things better through continual analysis of existing processes and procedures.
- Communicates anything that is clearly of value to the entire organization allowing for increased operational efficiency.
- Does not 'blame' people when informed risks fail but instead takes responsibility for his/her actions.
- Focuses on doing things right the first time and getting the best out of people, not just the most, so that substandard efforts and results are unacceptable to all.
- Manages the crew and resources in a manner that maximizes efficiencies and operational excellence in all aspects of the project.
- Monitors daily job plans and at nightly meeting communicates to the crew how they are progressing on the project.
- Gives clear and proper work direction to layout and pick-up crews.
- Effectively coordinates efficient helicopter usage through daily briefings of helicopter operators/workers.
- Ensures that all of the crew's daily activities are planned clearly before each day's work.
- Effectively communicates daily plan to crew members so that they understand what is expected of them and how they impact reaching the daily objectives and ultimate project goals. This includes creating and visibly posting a plan each evening outlining the activities for the following day.
- Ensures that recording supplies and expendables are considered and ordered in a timely manner so that production is not impacted by lack of supplies.
- Manages the entire data collection effort to ensure highest possible data quality.
- Configures the system for each project's requirements.
- Conducts periodic (daily, weekly, monthly) tests on instrumentation as required by company and/or client.
- Properly documents all data on support documents.
- Ensures that geophysical equipment is properly deployed the first time in accordance with project parameters.
- Ensures that safety guidelines and procedures are followed in order to prevent/reduce the occurrence of accidents (including communicating new policies).
- Coordinates action taken for any serious incidents in a prompt and well considered manner to ensure safety of injured employee(s).
- Serve as a visible role model for safety allowing for other employees to learn and buy into the company's stance on safety.
- Plans and organizes activities so that people are not put in a position of having to choose to do things in an unsafe fashion.
- Ensures that all equipment assigned to the recording crew is accounted for at all times. Counts of equipment and inventory control sheets should be competed frequently and given to the RCM.
- Ensures that all equipment is in good working condition at all times and that a proper maintenance program in place and adhered to.
- May be required to provide time-off relief for the Recording Crew Manager focusing on maintaining systems and concepts that the RCM has been promoting to the crew (see RCM Position Mandate).
- Trains the JO in all aspects of data collection and management of the recording crew activities (including operating the recording system, testing and parameter setup/verification) with little or no supervision.
- Provides constructive feedback to the Mechanic regarding performance and development as well as provides input into his/her performance assessment.
- Ensures that he/she and his/her crew clear a good line of communications with technical and mechanical support staff allowing for quick and efficient resolutions to technical and mechanical problems.
You need…Job specific competencies for this role are: Developing people, Directing Others, Drive for Results, Functional/Technical, Planning
Role in Task:
- Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for the JO.
- Actively teaches, provides feedback and encourages others to develop their skills and abilities.
- Builds a talented team.
- Establishes clear direction for others.
- Sets stretching objectives for the development of others.
- Distributes the workload appropriately.
- Lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner.
- Maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results.
- Brings out the best in people.
- Is inherently motivated to achieve and exceed objectives (i.e. production, financial, safety, people management, quality) successfully and consistently delivers on all project objectives.
- Behaves assertively – does what it takes. Conveys and instills a sense of urgency to all those who come in contact with incumbent.
- Wins for the company not just for the project and is willing to do what it takes for the benefit for of the Land Acquisition team not just the project.
- Persists despite obstacles and opposition. Stands up for what he/she believes is necessary to see the organization succeed.
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of efficiency.
- Accurately scopes out duration and complexity of tasks/projects; sets objectives; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task people with assignments
- Ensures targets for the team are SMART
- Clearly communicates targets and expectations to all personnel.
- Anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance. Ensures he/she has well thought out contingency plans.
- If needed, effectively modifies plans ensuring targets are met without jeopardizing morale, project progress to date, etc.
- Organize resources (people, funding, material, support) effectively and efficiently to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.