Avionics - Hardware Design | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
'SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that [are] absurdly ambitious by any reasonable standard, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself.'
– Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seeking out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
- Assist in the design and development of state-of-the-art communication systems for the world’s first commercially developed spacecraft capable of returning from orbit
- Leverage techniques from the commercial markets to introduce a fully integrated communication system (command/control, telemetry, GPS, and tracking) with a focus on compact, energy efficient and cost effective designs suitable for mass production while also capable of surviving the rigors of space
- Develop modulators, demodulators, transmitters and receivers operating in the UHF, L, S and C bands at data rates from 100kbps to 10 Mbps using modulation techniques ranging from PCM-FM to SOQPSK
- Advanced Degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering or similar area of study required; Must have strong knowledge of Communication and RF fundamentals
- Must have experience simulating digital communication systems including Floating Point and Fixed Point Analysis, Modulation and Demodulation Techniques in the presence of large Doppler Shifts, OFDM, DQPSK, GMSK, GFSK, QAM, BPSK, Forward Error Correction
- Must have experience implementing, developing, modeling and analyzing the following: Dynamic link budget analysis for spacecraft communications, RF gain/loss budgets, Noise figure requirements, Antenna propagation and antenna pattern analysis, Forward error correction algorithms; both block codes and convolutional codes, Frequency hopped and direct sequence spread spectrum communication systems, Phase locked loop analysis, Detection Theory, and Spectral Processing
- Must have experience with ADC and DAC implementations Multiple Access schemes, ATDD, CDMA, and Frequency Division Multiple Access schemes
- Must have experience modeling fading channels
- Must have experience designing Spread Spectrum communication systems with large spread factors
- Must have experience with fractionally spaced equalizers, and multi-rate resampling digital filters
- System DSP experience with Nyquist Sampling Theory, IF sampling, Re-sampling techniques, Digital Time Correction, Digital Frequency Synthesis, Adaptive Filters, cascaded integrator comb Filters, FIR Filter architecture, Matched Filters, Pole-Zero and Z-Domain Analysis, Image Processing, Frequency Plans, and Spur Analysis
- Familiar with modeling in C or MatLab
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment with limited supervision
- Experience in commercial (non-aerospace) sectors with particular emphasis in mobile phones or other similar consumer electronics is strongly preferred
- Satcom experience at the data rates and frequencies involved (UHF, L, S and/or C Band) would be nice but broadband commercial experience is preferred
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.