Manufacturing and Production - Leadership | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Space Exploration Technologies
Engineer The Future
SpaceX is a U.S.-based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. Founded in 2002, SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up, including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species. Our team is made up of more than 3,000 SpaceXers located across our Hawthorne, California headquarters; and other facilities in Florida, Texas, and Washington, DC.
Advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars
This is SpaceX. We are not like most companies. Our goal is to do what has never before been done--enabling mankind to live on other planets. We push the boundaries of what is currently possible, and understand it takes rare individuals to help us make this happen. We celebrate our successes, and each other. We seek future colleagues with a rare mix of drive, passion, scrappiness, intelligence, and curiosity to seek what’s beyond the stars.
Playing a direct role in advancing the course of human history is no small endeavor. Join us, and find your place in the SpaceX legacy.
Production Supervisor (Permanent Attachments) 2nd Shift
This candidate should have a strong structures background in aircraft or aerospace industry. Excellent technical understanding of all structures joining processes to a high level of precision, with demonstrated experience in applying these skills. In addition the candidate should be disciplined in workplace organization processes with knowledge of cleanroom principles in protecting product capability. Critical movements are part of this role so heavy lifting and Parts movement is also necessary. With responsibility for a team of approx. 15-30 technicians, daily interfaces with a network of Engineering partners and subject experts means interpersonal skill are a clear necessity, as is the ability to coach, guide, steer and drive the team to success. Experience of modern manufacturing techniques and CIP implementation are also preferable.
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow.
- Resolve nonconformance issues including documentation of associated rework.
- Lead and manage a staff of ~40 technicians.
- Review work instructions and making change recommendations when needed.
- Responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skillset needed.
- Identifying and set-up of training programs.
- Develop reporting procedures and systems such as dashboard status.
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff.
- Accomplishes production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job results.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods.
- Develop and Implement cost reductions processes and efficiency improvement measures.
- Facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Production risk identification and mitigation.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications.
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory.
- Read, interpret and work from free form drawings as well as from controlled documentation and processes.
- B.S. in an Engineering field or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years in high volume manufacturing sector.
- Minimum of 2 years in management required with strong leadership skills.
- Safety training and/or safety certifications required.
- Experience monitoring, tracking and continually improving total cost equation.
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production desirable.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to read, interpret and follow:
- Schematics: engineering drawings, circuit layouts, and parts list.
- Cable Harnesses: wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and parts list.
- Mechanical Assemblies: mechanical drawings and parts lists.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production.
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment.
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy.
- Safety training and/or safety certifications required.
- Must be willing to work 2nd Shift (3:30pm- 2:00am), overtime and weekends as needed.
- Able to travel short and/or extended trips as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Connect With Us
Want to learn more about SpaceX career opportunities and culture? Be sure to connect with our recruiting team on social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, and SpaceX Careers.