Manufacturing and Production - Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
'SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself.'
– Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seek out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
Production Engineer (Component Assembly)
- Assembly of complex mechanisms (i.e. valves, actuators, hydraulics, pneumatics).
- Lead the production and facilities for high rate assembly, testing and cleaning of components.
- Apply cleaning methods such as abrasive cleaning and blasting with air, mechanical and liquids on metal and nonmetal components.
- Apply pressure, leak, cryogenic and functional testing methods of complex sub-assemblies.
- Measure and maintain throughput to support production rates.
- Work closely with design engineers, internal machine shops, and external vendors to ensure specifications are met.
- Resolve and analyze manufacturing discrepancies and interface with the quality team.
- Develop production procedures/processes.
- Run process improvement projects to continuously improve production processes.
- Support technical decision on precision cleaning issues throughout the company.
- Resource management, planning, coordinating and interfacing with (and impacting/improving) our own home-built Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, Systems, or Manufacturing Engineering or similar discipline.
- 2 years in a manufacturing environment with experience in the following:
- Process development, facility and line layouts, PFMEA, Error-Proofing, Lean Manufacturing.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Design for Manufacturability and assembly.
- Technically well-rounded and displays a proficiency in the basic principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials.
- Design and analysis (Finite Element Analysis (FEA)/structural/static loads) experience.
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, and fault analysis.
- Knowledge in automated test systems for pressure and leak testing using instrumentation such as flow meters, pressure transducers and thermocouples.
- Pareto Analysis, Root Cause and Corrective Action experience.
- 5S, Six Sigma background.
- Labview experience is a plus.
- Passion for problem solving at any level for the good of the company.
- Capable of handling multiple projects concurrently in a fast paced environment.
- Must be highly self-motivated and organized with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.