Texas Rocket Development & Test - Engineering | McGregor, TX, United States
Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
'SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself.'
– Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seeking out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
SpaceX Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Engineers work in a fast-paced environment, utilizing many aspects of engineering (fluids, structures, etc.) to design and build test stands and equipment to allow propulsion and structural component and system level testing. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Engineering, design, analysis, material/component selection and procurement, construction, activation, and maintenance of test stands, tooling, and supporting infrastructure
- Provide support and direction to technicians during construction, activation, and maintenance of stands and equipment
- Support testing campaigns by monitoring and reviewing data, ensuring health of systems, and modifying equipment or procedures as necessary
- Develop novel ways to streamline site-wide processes and increase the reliability and efficiency of testing operations
- Perform any additional tasks that ensure efficient and effective testing, as required
- It is sometimes necessary to perform hands-on work in all environments (heat, cold, rain), occasionally in tight quarters or at heights
- B.S. degree is required in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- M.S. degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline
- Fundamental understanding, intuition, and aptitude of fluid and/or structural design and analysis
- Creative ability to imagine and design from scratch, while retaining low cost, reliability, efficiency, and maintainability
- Experience where quick-thinking and problem solving plays a critical role
- Good response to challenges posed by short deadlines
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment, under possible extended work hours
- Acute attention to detail, ability to see interactions with other systems to avoid problems
- Windows Operating Systems – Intermediate skill level
- Microsoft Office – Intermediate skill level
- CAD – Intermediate skill level (NX a plus)
- Additional analysis software is a plus – FEA, CFD, Fluid Flow, other
- Experience with high pressure and cryogenic fluid systems and components
- Experience producing drawings for welders and machine shop fabrication
- Machining, welding, other fabrication techniques, and general hands-on experience
- Experience in FEA or CFD modeling and analysis, with ability to verify by simplified hand calculations
- Piping and pressure vessel design experience per ASME code, work with flanges, gaskets, fasteners
- Instrumentation, testing, data review and analysis, verification against a model
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying light weight such as materials or equipment
- Occasionally exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.