Avionics - Software Development | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Space Exploration Technologies
Work to advance the course of human history and pave the way to Mars.
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up including cutting edge electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engine systems. The Falcon Launch Vehicle and Dragon Spacecraft programs are some of the most ambitious engineering systems in the world, designed to support our ultimate goals of aviation-like spaceflight capability and making humanity a multi-planet species.
'SpaceX is like Special Forces… we do the missions that others think are impossible. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious, but we're going to make them happen. We have the potential here at SpaceX to have an incredible effect on the future of humanity and life itself.'
– Elon Musk
If you’re undaunted by the impossible, actively seeking out insanely challenging projects under tight schedules, and want to work with a remarkable organization pushing the envelope of human exploration, then you will want to be part of the SpaceX legacy.
We are actively seeking the brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue building our world class team. Please visit spacex.com for additional information.
Software Engineer in Test
- Integrate, qualify and maintain a high-fidelity, hardware-in-the-loop testbed
- Execute hardware- and interface-specific tests on the testbeds to verify and validate the flight system
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues with the testbed, including harnessing, computer hardware, software, electrical and RF systems
- Define and execute tests with the Mission Control Center
- Execute tests on the flight vehicle at the launch site
- Support hardware engineers with defining and running tests
- Support flight vehicle integration and testing
- Support in-flight anomaly resolution
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or 4+ years of experience in software engineering
- Must have 2+ years of experience in C/C++
- Fluent with a Linux environment, including:
- Bash environment and command line usage
- Linux utilities like tcpdump, netcat, rsync, ssh
- Proficient in a scripting language, such as Perl, Python or Bash
- Experience with a defect tracking database
- Experience with a version control system
- Experience building or working with embedded systems
- Desire to work in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to work overtime
- Ability to communicate across all levels and disciplines
ABOUT SPACEX FLIGHT SOFTWARE ENGINEERING:
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Flight Software team is responsible for the software that runs on-board SpaceX rockets and spacecraft, but we do more than embedded software engineering: We also do simulations, distributed data management, and analysis tools used in preparation for a launch. Our problem domains span embedded, fault-tolerant, flight control, web, mobile, cloud, and big data computing. The products that we develop run on low-power space computing platforms, mobile devices, desktop systems, and in data centers.
We are an organizationally flat group of a few dozen software engineers. Although we work on and support critical systems, you wouldn’t know it from observing our office. When it comes to the code we are unrelentingly meticulous and thorough, but when it comes to people we are big on open communication, flexible hours and a casual work environment.
At SpaceX, the problem domain is full of exciting challenges, and “launching” the product will be like no other product launch you’ve ever experienced!
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Additionally, those applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities on-site should contact the Human Resource Department at the above number.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.