We want you to bring your ideas and software engineering skills to our dynamic, growing team!
RMS is currently building RMS(one), our next generation risk analytics platform. The Loss Analytics team in Analytical Development builds the analytics and infrastructure for RMS(one). These analytics allow RMS’ clients to understand and make decisions about financial risk within the context of RMS’ catastrophe models.
As a senior engineering member of our team, you will be a core contributor to our Loss Analytics service layer. Much of our software development work is “green field”, meaning you will have the opportunity to employ the latest technologies and methodologies for processing large amounts of analytical data at runtime. The members of the Loss Analytics team have a wide range of skills: software engineering in C++/C#/.NET; statistical and risk management domain knowledge; distributed computation systems experience; and big data management. We bring all of these skills together in an agile development approach to solve some of RMS’ toughest technical challenges.
We are looking for an excellent programmer who is motivated, smart and enthusiastic about building and supporting complex analytic software using the latest technologies. You will be right at home in this position if you are someone who is not content with just writing code, but rather wants to understand how and why things work.
In the Principal Software Engineer role you will report directly to the Director of Loss Analytics. You will design and deliver a significant portion of our analytic software components for RMS(one). The Principal Software Engineer is a highly analytical software developer: you must be an outstanding software engineer who also thrives on solving problems in computational analytics as well as learning the highly technical domain of catastrophe risk. We are looking for someone who can solve complex software engineering challenges of processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, mathematical component stack.
This role will require you get involved in data integration and the general systems design of our Loss Analytics service. You will bring your extensive background in SOA-based software design and implementation abilities to the table as the team builds new features and workflows. You will collaborate closely with several of our internal teams including Cloud Operations, Quality Engineering, and Platform Engineering in supporting deployment and delivery of the Loss Analytics service components. You will also be challenged to digest functional requirements into high quality analytical components as you build new features in Loss Analytics. The ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively with product management will be one of your strong traits. We follow agile development practices wherein all team members are given significant responsibility and autonomy and are expected to deliver high quality work.
This is an exciting opportunity to truly make a difference as we innovate from the ground up in building RMS(one), our next generation product solution for the cloud. The successful candidate will be well placed to progress into a technical management or a technical architect role. If you thrive on taking responsibility for delivering new solutions for a growing, dynamic product, we want to hear from you.
Required experience and skills:
- Superior programming skills in C++ and C#/.NET on a large code base. Expertise in another OO programming language can be substituted if prior experience is substantial and candidate has strong knowledge of C++ and/or C#/.NET
- Strong previous experience having designed and implemented service-based systems, preferably dealing with highly available distributed computational analytics on a distributed, scalable computational framework such as a cluster-based “grid” or a high-throughput/low-latency parallel computing farm
- Superior knowledge of measuring performance, identifying bottlenecks (code and/or architectural design), and monitoring resource usage (memory, CPU, disk IO, network IO)
- 10+ years of programming experience; proven track record of on-time delivery of your work
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- Strong software engineering discipline: you document, measure, test and tune what you build
- B.S. / M.S. in Computer Science or related discipline; Master’s degree preferred
Desirable experience and skills:
- Strong mathematical skills in algorithmic computations, statistics and probability
- Solid experience in designing and implementing solutions to solve “big data” problems, using proprietary solutions or public technologies such as Hadoop
- Strong knowledge of a major RDBMS platform (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle), data modeling and data access and sharing patterns in distributed systems
Did you know there's a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year? And there's a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12 months? We do. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfolio risks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, and flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy. We are one of the most exciting and technologically sophisticated firms you've 'never' heard of, unless you're one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
As we approach our 25th anniversary, we are now evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, releasing in 2014 a cutting edge risk management platform 'RMS(one)' for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).
To find out more, visit www.rms.com
. Or follow us on Facebook or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.