Are you ready to work on world changing technologies?
The technology industry is at the cusp of a once in a generation transition; one that will fundamentally change the way businesses operate and innovate in our increasingly mobile, cloud-based and connected world.
At Pivotal we see and create what’s possible.
Drawing on our heritage in Big Data, open source, and application development, Pivotal is building a new class of applications - leveraging big and fast data - and doing all of this with the power and flexibility of cloud independence.
If you are passionate about solving hard problems, enjoy working with world-class people and developing cutting edge technology, you should explore a career with Pivotal.
A new company with backing from EMC, VMware and GE, Pivotal unites strategic technologies, people, and programs to meet the demands of this next technology wave. We offer competitive benefits and compensation (including equity in a high growth market), and many extras that create a rewarding work experience.
At Pivotal, our mission is to enable customers to build a new class of applications, leveraging big and fast data, and do all of this with the power of cloud-independence. Uniting technology, people and programs from EMC and VMware, the following leading products and services are now part of Pivotal: Greenplum, Cloud Foundry, Spring, GemFire/SQLFire and other products from the VMware vFabric Suite, Cetas and Pivotal Labs.
The Field Engineer will be responsible for providing pre-sales deep technical and business expertise with regards to the Pivotal products as well as have the capabilities to install, connect, and use these products. The individual will interface directly with customers as well as collaborate with Product Management as a field representative on the development of products and enhancements.
Technical Pre-Sales Support and Product Management collaboration including:
- Present Pivotal vision, strategy and product roadmaps to executives and technical management/contributors
- Drive the adoption of Pivotal solutions within strategic accounts moving current installations from departmental to enterprise
- Provide expert technical pre-sales support for opportunities involving Pivotal products
- Conduct pre-sales POCs involving applications and solutions. This will involve installing Pivotal products and many times, integrating other products with that install to showcase the technology
- Maintain deep technical and business knowledge of messaging applications industry directions and trends
- Maintain working knowledge of competitor products and how to technically sell against them
- Provide consultative support to the Field and Partner Training organizations for development of deep technical GTM training material and positioning
- Work collaboratively with Product Management, Technical Marketing and Engineering during the development, launch and continuing refinement of Pivotal products
- Maintain, grow and leverage technical pre-sales relationships with key VMware, EMC, and Partner field organizations
- Evangelize the value of Pivotal products in architectures and deployments.
- 5+ years of experience in technology related work, including roles such as Pre-sales Engineer and/or customer-facing Consultant in environments building and deploying to Java EE, BI/DW, or equivalent enterprise scenarios
- Must have a solid understanding of a logical selling model and enterprise software sales. Field Engineers are expected to qualify prospects both technically and from a business driver perspective. This includes identification of key stakeholders, value propositions, compelling events and economic buyers.
- This position requires intimate, architect level knowledge and experience with building and deploying enterprise applications to Java EE environments and leveraging database technologies
- Comfortable in Java, and have significant experience with Java SE and Java EE
- Experience with the Spring Framework is a plus
- Experience with management infrastructure and software
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with a charismatic personality
- Proven track record of selling services as part of a solution
- Ability to see and present 'the big picture' and offer/architect solutions to make it better, specifically around business analytic systems
- Strong customer facing and relationship building skills
- Must be effective in working both independently and in a team setting.
- Strong listening and question based selling skills
- Ability to uncover business challenges and develop a custom solution to solve those challenges
- He or she should be an accomplished presenter of sales and technical material to both small and large groups. The ability to present impromptu and via a white board is desirable
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required
- Direct experience working on a large scale data warehouse or Hadoop platform is a very strong asset
- Intermediate programming and computation skills, preferably with Perl, Python Java, BASH/Shell Scripting and/or C/C++
- Strong SQL programming skills
- System administration of Linux (required)
- RDBMS related product experience is strongly preferred (Teradata, Netezza, Vertica, Oracle, DB2, Postgres,, etc.)
- Database administration of any RDBMS is a strong asset
- Understanding of traditional DW/BI components (ETL, Staging, DW, ODS, Data Marts, BI Tools)
- Understanding of parallel processing approaches and concepts is a very strong asset
- Understanding of the hardware architecture behind large scale clustered systems
- Familiarity with standard statistical/BI packages to perform analytic calculations
- Data centricity – obsession with evidence-based problem resolution
- Understanding of a variety of commonly-used analytic techniques and the models underlying them.
- Industry knowledge of big data technology, including Hadoop stack components, and other NOSQL and document type databases.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, related field or equivalent experience
Compensation: At Pivotal, your On-Target Earnings are real, not virtual. We offer a competitive base salary plus a quarterly commission which is tied directly to your team’s quota attainment. Of course, given our growth, many of our teams surpass quota and enjoy the benefits of a plan that includes commission accelerators.
Other Benefits: The flexibility of being “home-office” based; all new, top of the line hardware and equipment; quick and comprehensive expense reporting and reimbursement; company sponsored medical, dental, and vision coverage; stock options; 401K; profit sharing; employee stock purchase program (ESPP); and 2 weeks of PTO plus holidays for all new employees.