Principal Software Eng - Hadoop
Engineering | San Mateo, CA
At Pivotal, our mission is to enable customers to build a new class of applications, leveraging big and fast data, and doing all of this with the power of cloud-independence. Uniting technology, people and programs from EMC and VMware, the following leading products and services are now part of Pivotal: Greenplum, Cloud Foundry, Spring, GemFire and other products from the VMware vFabric Suite, Cetas and Pivotal Labs.
Are you passionate about building great software products? Are you looking to work on the state of the art technology and big data?
Pivotal Hadoop engineering team is looking for world-class, fun-loving engineers to join our growing team.
You will be responsible for the design and development of new features and enhancements to the Hadoop software ecosystem. You are expected to gain a deep understanding of a specific area of the Hadoop stack such as HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Hive, Pig, Map/Reduce, Mahout, etc. You will work with the Apache Hadoop community to innovate and enhance a specific area of the Hadoop software ecosystem. You will work with end customer, sales and internal Pivotal driven requirements and translate them into highly scalable, robust software modules. You will also get an opportunity to contribute to the open source community.
• MS CS or equivalent required
• 5-10 years of industry software development experience
• Strong development experience in core Java and Linux environment.
• Deep experience with one scripting language – perl, python, ruby, etc.
• Experience developing large-scale system software.
• Deep understanding of big data, cloud computing, scalable and high performance environments
• Familiarity with entire product life cycle: design, implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance – especially in enterprise context
• Experience with Hadoop, distributed systems, HPC – a big plus.
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Past experience working with globally distributed teams desirable
« Back to Openings