Engineering | Los Angeles, CA, United States
DevOps Engineers are hybrid software/systems engineers who ensure that services run smoothly and have capacity for future growth. AppOps engineers are embedded in the both the product and infrastructure teams, and are core drivers in every significant engineering effort going on in the company. They work with development teams to plug them into infrastructure services and provide automated services for their teams as needed
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Share ownership in application or back-end services produced by development teams and own the infrastructure/operations components like servers, caches, etc. that those teams depend on.
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and help debug hard problems
- Partner alongside the best engineers, participating in their product planning, architecture, design, and infrastructure and capacity planning.
- Guide and advise teams in utilizing the operational infrastructure effectively by helping them plug into infrastructure services like virtualization, deployment, automated configuration management, monitoring, and logging.
- Together with your engineering team, you will share an on-call rotation in supporting their service(s).
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Sound knowledge of sysadmin (Linux) and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Ability to code really well in at least one scripting language (BASH / Ruby / Python / Perl / PHP /etc.)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Experience in code deployment methodology and software configuration management (SCM) desired
- Good knowledge of infrastructure automation (Chef, Puppet, or cfEngine).
- Experience working with VM technology (ESX, HyperVisor, Xen, etc.)
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills--you can fix anything!
- Ability to perform capacity planning for internet service architectures and to provide practical plans to meet shifting business needs
- Good knowledge of enterprise-level web architecture and interconnectivity best practices
- Wordpress administration experience is a must
- Configuration and maintenance of common applications (Apache, MySql, etc.)
- Working knowledge of enterprise-level switches, routers, and load balancers. (Netscaler, Foundry, Cisco, etc.)
- Exposure to enterprise-level storage solutions (Isilon, etc.)
- Good verbal and written communications skills
- Diligent documentation skills a huge plus
- Motivated self-starter, with a proven track record in following through with tasks and projects
- High sense of accountability and prefers working in a team
- Experience in working with CDNs a plus (Akamai preferred)