Professional Services | Emeryville, CA, United States
Advanced Software Solutions Engineer
Aspera is the creator of next-generation transport technologies that move the world’s data at maximum speed regardless of file size, transfer distance and network conditions. Based on its patented, Emmy® award-winning FASP™ protocol, Aspera software fully utilizes existing infrastructures to deliver the fastest, most predictable file-transfer experience. Aspera’s core technology delivers unprecedented control over bandwidth, complete security and uncompromising reliability. Organizations across a variety of industries on six continents rely on Aspera software for the business-critical transport of their digital assets.
This technology is unique and core to all Aspera high-performance file transfer software. High-profile users include James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment who relied on Aspera software for moving massive visual effects files across continents during the production of Avatar, Netflix who receive all their video content directly to their cloud infrastructure via Aspera On Demand and BGI, the world’s largest genome research organization where Aspera solutions are used to enable global collaboration between scientists across the globe.
The Advanced Solutions Software Engineer will contribute to the expansion of the Aspera Professional Services organization. The ideal candidate will have provided hands-on systems engineering consulting services to Fortune 500 companies and possess a broad and deep understanding of IT infrastructure, networking, and security. She or he will have excellent system design and scripting skills along with the ability to manage complete customized developments and implementations. Great communications skills are a must for understanding customer requirements, collaboratively working out the design, setting and managing customer expectations while upholding Aspera’s high standards for maintaining outstanding customer relationships.
The Advanced Solutions Software Engineer is a hands-on position leading client and in-house projects, integrating Aspera optimized bulk data transfer products, performing customizations and leveraging our automation platform and tools, as well as integrating with third party products as required. Responsibilities include requirements analysis, technical solution proposals and implementations, full lifecycle project management and customer support through acceptance testing.
The Advanced Solutions Software Engineer will also provide remote and on-site advanced solution and deployment assistance for Aspera products. She/he will be expert in Aspera product usage, installation and high-availability configurations and will use her/his expertise to perform installations, train customers and field beta releases while acting as a liaison to Development Engineering, Sales Engineering and Technical Support.
- Exploring and assessing customer requirements for completeness and accuracy and determine if requirements are met by the current out-of-the-box functionality. Working with requirement providers to close issues and gaps and design/implement custom solutions when needed.
- Performing impact assessment and scope the size of the effort based on the requirements
- Creating enterprise-grade solutions that meet user needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability providing realistic implementation schedules while adhering to company's architectural standards and principles
- Designing the solution to ensure that it best leverages Aspera feature sets and fits into the overall Client architecture
- Playing an active, leading role in providing product feature/functionality feedback to Engineering. Identify, and recommend architecture and feature improvements
- Pre-building replica versions of the customer solutions, including the OS, network and firewall configurations
- Deriving and implement test cases. Perform functional and load/performance testing
- Creating and executing implementation plans in conjunction with the customer
- Performing remote or local installation and testing depending on the customer requirements
- Working closely with the customer during the deployment and testing phases to achieve successful acceptance testing
- Creating documentation of your designs and implementations with effective hand-over to Aspera Technical Support
- Transferring knowledge about Aspera products and customized solutions, externally to customers, and internally to Aspera colleagues
Skills & Requirements
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of application development and/or systems engineering experience
- Minimum of 3 years of consulting client-facing experience, preferably with an organization serving Fortune 500 companies.
- Experience in the Media and Entertainment industry a plus
- Has provided technical leadership (Architecture, Design, Development oversight) and team leadership (planning, collaboration, conflict resolution, driving results) on both small and large technology projects
- Understanding of TCP/IP/UDP protocols and networking
- Broad expertise spanning the entire IT stack from platforms and OS, database, networking, Internet security and various enterprise systems
- LAMP-based development experience
- Experience developing and deploying code in a high availability environment
- Red Hat Linux and Windows Clustering
- *NIX system administration
- VMware (Workstation / ESXi)
- LDAP and Windows Active Directory
- REST, SOAP
- Security best practices
- Hands-on development expertise with Object Oriented Technologies.
- Shell, Perl, Ruby Scripting
- Apache / IIS
- SQL query construction
- Ability and willingness to travel to client engagements, domestically and internationally
- A hands-on approach, and a 'learn anything' attitude
- A chance to work at a company with cutting edge technologies and patented products. Only Aspera software fully utilizes existing infrastructures to deliver the fastest, most predictable file transfer experience!
- Great office location, free parking and conveniently located near two public transportation stations.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance for employees.
- Great perks: breakfast and catered lunches, unlimited coffee and snacks, ping pong table and video game room.
- Generous 401k match.
- Certified 'Green' company includes funded public transportation benefit.
- Tuition and conference reimbursements.
- Frequent social events for employees and appearances from our dog, Luke (our VP of Motivation).