Software Engineering | Emeryville, CA, United States
Sr. Software Engineer
Aspera is headquartered in Emeryville, California with satellite offices in the United Kingdom, France and Singapore. Over 2,000 customers across all industries that need to move large volumes of data in industries such as enterprise IT, games and software development, government, legal & eDiscovery, life sciences, media & entertainment and oil & gas rely on Aspera software to move extreme data sets at high-speed over global distances.
Aspera’s unwavering mission is to create the next-generation software technologies that move the world’s large data at maximum speed, regardless of file size, transfer distance and network conditions. At the root of Aspera’s success lies our innovative, patented, highly efficient bulk data transport technology: fasp™ (fast, adaptive, secure protocol). This technology is unique and core to all Aspera high-performance file transfer software.
We are seeking a highly motivated software engineer with expertise in building scalable, extensible and user-friendly web applications.
This is an opportunity for you to take your passion for engineering and build compelling applications to develop the next generation of transfer management and collaboration products, which exploit our unique data transport core.
You will participate in the architecture, design, and implementation including enabling these products for large scale and cloud based deployment, and will work in a small, smart, fast-moving team.
- Play a key role in the architecture design and review on multiple products.
- Contribute in various area of the web application development (from DB to frontend) with a specific focus on the UI development.
- Play a key role in developing new product features.
- Work closely with UX designer and PM to deliver great results in an agile environment.
- Excellent software development skills with proven experience in building scalable web applications (preferably in Ruby on Rails, but other similar platform/frameworks would be considered).
- Strong understanding in web application architecture - MVC, and be able to contribute in different areas of the web-stack (i.e., frontend coding, API, web service, etc).
- Media experience with transcoding, video quality control, watermarking technologies a plus.
- Proficient with Linux and other Unix base environment. Some working knowledge of Windows based environments
- Some experience with networking and transfer technologies (SSH, SCP, SFTP, FTPS …).
- Experience with Professional Services or other customer facing roles a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to deliver great results in an agile development environment!
- B.Sc. or greater in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline (MSc preferred).
- 3 years or more of Professional Software Development experience.
- A chance to work at a company with cutting edge technologies and patented products. Only Aspera software fully utilizes existing infrastructures to deliver the fastest, most predictable file transfer experience!
- Great office location, free parking and conveniently located near two public transportation stations.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance for employees.
- Great perks: breakfast and catered lunches several times a week, unlimited coffee and snacks, ping pong table and video game room.
- Generous 401k match.
- Tuition and conference reimbursements.
- Frequent social events for employees and appearances from our dog, Luke (our VP of Motivation).