Engineering | Oakland, CA, United States
At Pandora, we're a unique collection of engineers, musicians, designers, marketers, and world-class sellers with a common goal: to enrich lives by delivering effortless personalized music enjoyment and discovery. People—the listeners, the artists, and our employees—are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Pandora are a lot like the service itself: bright, eclectic, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we’re looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the engine that creates the soundtrack to life. Discover your future at Pandora.
We have terrific opportunities in Software Engineering for innovative, inspired problem solvers who are enthusiastic about scaling Pandora's storage platforms to support our rapidly expanding community of listeners. With the right skills and experience you will be managing Pandora's 24x7 Petabyte scale Hadoop clusters. You'll get the chance to take on complex and interesting problems as part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team.
We've built a complex analytics system around Hadoop & Hive for scalability and high availability. It's imperative that you approach administration with an emphasis on repeatability, testability and consistency. The demands on this system are increasing rapidly as we grow the user base and add more functionality. We're looking for someone who has a deep understanding of hardware and understands how to tune systems appropriately based on a particular architecture.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in Software Development as well as operations. We often push the limits of the software we run and are looking for someone with the skills to work in an open source code base contributing patches and enhancements. You will be expected to come up to speed quickly on difficult problems, become a significant contributor to a hard-working team, and to take pride in your work.
Pandora is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, race, veteran or disability status
- A deep understanding of Hadoop and the factors that affect distributed system performance
- Minimum 5 years experience administering Hadoop and/or database systems
- Strong object oriented software development skills - Java development a plus.
- Experience maintaining large clusters (>100 TB)
- Experience supporting redundant systems with 24X7 availability requirement
- A deep understanding of Hadoop design principals
- Thorough knowledge of current hardware systems commonly used in production environments + Ability to proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live systems issues
- BS or better in Computer Science or a related field
- Postgres or other database administration experience a plus