REVISION MILITARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Design Engineer
Department: Design Engineering
Reports To: Director, Industrial Design
FLSA Status: Salaried – Exempt
Hours/Work Days: 8:30AM – 5:30PM (Monday through Friday)
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Date: July 2014 PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
The Design Engineer is responsible for creating a wide range of solutions for the company’s product line; from component level to system level solutions (with emphasis on system level solutions). The Design Engineer will develop design concepts using CAD tools, mock-ups and prototypes, and will validate designs thru testing and trials. The candidate will be a key member of the design team and will participate in the new product development and product improvement efforts of the company. The candidate will work alongside with the other departments to establish the design brief, including the concept, performance and production constraints and criteria to ensure manufacturability, durability and performance of the products. The Design Engineer will liaise with process and tool engineering, supply chain and operations to ensure transition of the designs into mass production. The candidate must have exceptional creative problem solving skills and will need to be a customer oriented self-starter who can work in a dynamic and evolving team environment. This position also requires a good understanding of technology, materials and manufacturing methods for plastics and composites. SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Design concepts, CAD files & drawing preparation:
- Establish design briefs, including the concept, assumptions, performance and production constraints and criteria.
- Demonstrate concepts thru sketches mock-ups and prototypes.
- Create preliminary 2D drawings and free body diagrams.
- Create detailed 3D CAD models in advance of final CAD files.
- Draw parts, sub-assemblies and assemblies (2D and 3D).
- Bill-of-material (BOM) creation and update
- Perform tolerance studies on parts and assemblies.
- Identify the suitability and availability of materials.
- Validate designs thru testing and trials.
- Liaise with other departments and suppliers as required during the product development process.
- Proficiency in the use of software tools primarily SolidWorks and graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Technical Data Management:
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements
- Capability to manage and control configuration of technical data.
- Manage material lists.
- Understand and have input into the Company’s engineering database and bill of materials system.
- Implementing technical data management within the requirement of an Enterprise Resource Planning system.
Behavioral competency Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in product design.
- Experience and understanding of fundamental design calculations and techniques
- Experience in the design of personal protective equipment’s is a plus.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving skills
- Must be proficient in SolidWorks, Photoshop, Illustrator and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Must have manual skills for creating mock-ups and prototypes, experience is a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of standard design and drawing practices, specifically as it relates to product development in the plastic injection industry.
- Knowledge of composite manufacturing processes is a plus.
- Technical Data Management experience is a plus.
- Creative and ability to work autonomous and part of a team.
- Experience with production environment is a plus.
- Strong English language, verbal communication and writing skills required.
- Knowledge of and experience of working with Military and Personal Protective Equipment Standards, a plus.
Functional or Technical skills
Work environment (include physical requirements)
Traditional office work and office conditions combined with working in a production environment to gather information and implement designs. Revision Military provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Revision Military complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.