Systems | Cambridge, MA, United States
Education and Training:
- Serve as a hands on contributor to several key infrastructure projects, such as network and firewall upgrades, Linux web server upgrade and configuration management;
- Cross-collaborate with the Program Management and Development/QA team members to meet requirements of regular production site updates as part of our Agile development and deployment process;
- Provide installation expertise for all new hardware, software, systems and network;
- Support production environment (including occasional 7x24 on-call rotation) for multi-production social network web based applications;
- Contribute and in some cases own deliverables for special group projects focused on improving or upgrading systems hardware, software, or monitoring;
- Conduct periodic code reviews for peers and other systems engineering staff;
- Assess requirements for improvements in systems operations, keeping in mind primary goals (high availability, scalability);
- Provide systems programming support to Development, QA, Database and Systems team members.
Skills and Experience:
- BS degree required in computer science or related technical field.
- Extensive experience with Linux (CentOS, Redhat) or other UNIX-based operating systems;
- Experience with Apache a strong plus;
- Has some experience in managing and monitoring secure networks, with experience in monitoring (F5) loadbalancer and (Cisco or Juniper) firewall. Having a background and experience in network security fundamental or PCI compliant systems is a very strong plus;
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation and automate them;
- A solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming, the design of consistent network-wide filesystem layouts;
- Experience with revision control systems (Subversion, CVS, git, other);
- Experience with perl, PHP, python, puppet, scripting languages a strong plus;
- Have a background in object-oriented programming concepts;
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations;
- Proficiency in project execution and follow-through with a high level of detail, with demonstrated presentation skills;
- Solid organizational skills: strong work ethic, ability to focus completing prioritized tasks in timely manner, meet multiple deadlines, and have a willingness to work long hours when needed;
- A commitment to outstanding quality and reliability, and the initiative to remain current with new technologies.