Mobile Engineering | San Francisco or Seattle, United States
The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
Today The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation, and accounts for over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements. This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible.
Our developers collaborate closely with designers, product managers, and project managers to design, plan and deliver releases across our product lines. We’re revolutionizing agriculture by putting big-data driven decision support tools in the hands of farmers across the world.
If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
Watch our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation:http://vimeo.com/63381109
Android Sr. Staff Engineer
With great growth comes great challenges and Climate is no exception as we focus on the next challenge of building world class mobile applications. This is an opportunity to be part of a ground up team building mobile tools to improve the knowledge, productivity and yield of farming in a worldwide market. Make an impact in one of the oldest and most fundamental industries on our planet.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with product and design to conceptualize great phone and tablet experiences for the agriculture industry
- Develop great, responsive mobile applications to present agronomic, geospatial and planting information on maps, reports and feeds
- Develop native mobile applications that interact with API’s and local data to provide a fast and efficient interface
- Contribute to a common shared libraries shared across multiple native applications
- Opportunity to learn new technologies and frameworks to solve some great challenges in the agriculture industry (i.e. limited access to a reliable data connection)
- Continuously develop and release applications to the app store on a monthly basis with great unit and application test coverage
What You Offer
- Demonstrated real experience building network based mobile applications on the iOS and Android platforms
- Passionate about using and championing features from the iOS platform such as Swift, ARC, Storyboards, Containers, Auto Layout, Extensions and more
- Passionate about using and championing features from the Android platform such as Fragments, Action Bars, Volley, Transitions, Translucent Styling and more
- Passionate about mobile architecture and separate areas of responsibility for UI, data storage and network access
- At least one published application we can admire together that has gone through multiple releases to the play store
- A passion for clean and testable code
- Familiarity with OOP, design patterns with strong CS fundamentals with a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and listening skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- Experience with or a willingness to learn other platforms and languages like server side REST in Java / Clojure or iOS / Android if only experience with one platform
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of some of the most brilliant interdisciplinary minds in the industry. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible product and experience for our customers. Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks, drinks, fruits, coffees, and teas to help you get through the day
- We let you explore personally compelling topics by occasionally taking time to work on independent projects and contributing the results back to the open source community.
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, kayaking, holiday yacht parties, and sporting events, etc.
- We sponsor hackathons, meetup groups, networking events, tech-talks, and conference trips. If you want to get involved in the tech community, we'll support your efforts
- We encourage all employees to better understand our customers by getting out of the office and hearing firsthand from the agents and farmers our products serve
- Energetic idea-driven work environment with an exciting culture
- Exciting world-changing opportunity - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on the world
- A driven, talented team that aims to make a large-scale impact through an innovative technology platform