Altiscale is looking for engineers with world-class technical chops to provide technical leadership for our major projects teams. You own day-to-day technical decision-making for your project and you strive not only to optimize your own ability to deliver but also those of your team. Position Responsibilities
- Work closely with our CTO to define engineering deliverables for your project area
- Work closely with product management to ensure we're building the best products
- Translate technical deliverables to tasks and activities with your team
- Communicate the direction of your project to your team and the rest of the company
- Provide mentoring for junior team members by reviewing code, reviewing design docs, and helping all your team members be productive
- Demonstrate deep problem solving skills and the ability to innovate
- Strong distributed systems and architecture knowledge and experience
- Obsessive about great engineering
- Expert level proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Java, Ruby, C/C++, Python
- Deep understanding and experience with Hadoop internals, Pig, Hive, and HBase; Hadoop committer a big plus
- In depth understanding of schedulers, workload management, availability, scalability and distributed data platforms
- Deep understanding and experience with Linux internals, virtual machines, and open source tools/platforms
- Experience building large-scale distributed applications and services
- Sound knowledge of SQL & No-SQL databases
- Experience developing and extending modern build-chain tools, such as Maven, Jenkins, Git
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills, particularly those that apply to a “Big Data” environment
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Knowledge of industry standards and trends
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- 10 + years of relevant industry experience, with 5 years of hands-on technical leadership (leading teams of 5-8 developers)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or closely related degree.
Key Attractions of the Role About Altiscale
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or closely related degree.
- Strong leader capable of motivating and energizing the very best software engineers, as well as gaining their respect.
- Experience shipping successful services and infrastructure.
Altiscale offers the first cloud service that is purpose-built to run Apache Hadoop. Altiscale's optimized infrastructure is faster, more reliable, easier to use, and more affordable than alternatives. Without the distractions of Hadoop operations, and with access to practically unlimited resources, Altiscale customers can drive more business value from Hadoop than ever before. Altiscale's founding team has been at the forefront of Apache Hadoop, from its incubation at Yahoo! to the operation of more than 40,000 Hadoop nodes. Altiscale is backed by General Catalyst Partners and Sequoia Capital.