Engineering | Santa Clara, CA, United States
Ooyala builds the platforms that help TV networks, cable providers, movie studios, big brands and media companies reach the world online. Nearly 200 million viewers in 130 countries watch over a billion Ooyala-powered videos each month. We’re an industry leader in video management, publishing, monetization, and especially in analytics.But we’re not satisfied. We need experienced architects to help us reinvent our video delivery platform and applications. We want our systems to scale up to 10 billion videos a month — and then beyond — while at the same time developing new features for highly demanding customers like ESPN, Bloomberg, Telegraph Media Group, Telefonica, The North Face, Dell, Sephora, Yahoo! Japan and Rolling Stone. As you can imagine, things are getting more complex, not less. This is moon-shot stuff, if the moon were made of pixels instead of green cheese.
Beyond being an amazing engineer, you should be ready to:
- Dive in with product managers, developers, QA, and operations people as you orchestrate the development of complex products and features. You’ll need a singular focus on requirements, analysis, design, and architecture development.
- Turn detailed and wonderfully complex product and engineering requirements into solid designs, with enough definition and documentation for others to take, run with and implement.
- Guide that implementation across multiple teams
- Develop prototypes and proof-of-concepts as a starting point for larger development efforts
You should bring with you:
- Impressively deep knowledge of a variety of technologies and platforms: IP and web infrastructure, large scale fault-tolerant systems, API platforms, cloud infrastructure, client-server web applications, and SQL and noSQL DBs.
- 5+ years of experience building large-scale high-performance distributed systems
- A BS/MS or PhD in computer science, or the equivalent, ideally from a top-tier school
- A passion for building products that will enrich the lives of several hundred million people worldwide
Ooyala is technology-driven and engineering-centric. We give our engineers high-level goals and the freedom and tools to achieve them with creativity and ambition. Our hiring policy is and has always been quality over quantity. If you pass our hiring bar, your colleagues will be engineers you can both trust and learn from.
We have an incredibly fun company culture where work is blended with Ultimate Frisbee games against other companies in the Valley, ping-pong battles, serious hackathons, silly game nights and long, fun, bordering-on-sci-fi debates about tomorrow’s technologies. Here are some of the cool projects we've open-sourced: https://github.com/ooyalaOoyala delivers personalized video experiences to eager viewers across all screens, everywhere. If this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us, we’d like to meet you.