Reporting to the VP Marketing, the Director of Business Development is Minted’s first full-time BD hire and is responsible for the company’s partnership strategy, deal execution, and partner relationship management. This position is responsible for building lasting, scalable partnerships that build Minted’s brand awareness and accelerate Minted’s revenue growth. We are seeking an entrepreneurial, polished, affable, and strategic person who loves retail, design, and art.
About the company:
Minted is a social commerce site, crowd-sourcing graphic designs and art from a global design community and selling those as printed paper products, initially focused on the $10 billion stationery and $48 billion art markets. Combining community with commerce, Minted was founded by a successful serial entrepreneur and has been featured on the Today Show, Wall Street Journal, InStyle, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Weddings, Daily Candy, TechCrunch, and many other national media outlets. Minted is backed by Technology Crossover Ventures, Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, and angel investors including Marissa Mayer, Jeremy Stoppelman, and Kevin and Julia Hartz. Located in downtown San Francisco, Minted is comprised of an experienced and entrepreneurial team. We come from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, eBay, Yahoo, Goldman Sachs and numerous disruptive startups. This is a great opportunity to learn from a stellar executive team and work on a world-changing product, all supported by a proven business model.
Key responsibilities include:
- Drive the corporate and category-level partnership and distribution strategies in very close collaboration with the senior management team.
- Define Minted’s partnership strategy, including deals that build Minted’s brand in new markets and categories (such as our art crowdsourcing partnership with West Elm), build traffic, build customer leads, and accelerate revenue growth.
- Build lasting and friendly relationships with our partners by creating ongoing value for both sides and ensuring outstanding communication and follow-through on our commitments.
- Ensure that Minted has a stellar reputation in the industry as an excellent partner company.
- Work closely with category managers to develop partnership strategies and roadmaps specific to our major categories (e.g. holiday, weddings, baby & kids, art). Liaise with category managers who may own some of the ongoing partnership execution to ensure outstanding execution.
- Prepare and maintain a budget model, revenue projections, and traffic projections resulting from partnerships.
- Build a deal pipeline at the corporate and category level by researching, contacting, meeting, and developing relationships and proposals with target partners.
- Analyze and communicate deal performance as measured by appropriate metrics (e.g. sales, awareness, leads, traffic). Use data and relationships to grow the value of our partnerships over time.
- Work with and influence a cross-functional team internally to support deal execution with impeccable attention to detail.
- Own competitive BD analysis, understanding the status of existing partnerships and identifying strategic opportunities and threats.
Skills and experience required:
- 8+ years of experience in BD, marketing, general management and/or professional services (strategy consulting, private equity or investment banking)
- Retail or ecommerce experience preferred. Offline or online media experience also appreciated.
- Proven track record of signing, executing, and scaling needle-moving partnerships
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including communication (phone, email, presentations), networking, cold calling, relationship-building, negotiation, and building influence
- Savvy understanding of commercial legal contracts and ability to speak legalese with legal counsel
- Exceptional analytical skills, including the ability to analyze data, draw conclusions, and develop recommendations
- Creative and strategic thinker who enjoys brainstorming new opportunities with co-workers and partners
- Strong project management skills and a track record of on-time delivery
- Strong leadership and influencing skills, including the ability to direct resources who do not report directly to you
- Comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, with its fast pace and fluid nature; comfortable delivering results with a small, lean team
- Obsessive detail orientation
- Fanatical commitment to our partners, our customers, our artists, and our premium brand
- BA or equivalent is required. MBA or advanced degree is highly desired.
- Passion for shopping, art, design, decorating, and staying on top of retail trends