Square's goal is to carry every transaction. Our customers expect from us the highest levels of precision, predictability, and reliability. Production Engineering builds the physical and logical infrastructure that our applications sit on; this must be a solid base that our server-side software engineers can rely on to build highly available software.
As a team, we value correctness, efficiency, and automation. We measure and monitor everything, and have a culture of continuous reflection and improvement. We aim to eliminate friction for our software engineers in production and believe that no project should be delayed due to lack of reliable infrastructure. We believe that a well designed production environment can be beautiful. We're looking for senior engineers who share our values, particularly those who have experience building, monitoring, and maintaining high-volume, low-latency, distributed transactional platforms.
- Monitor: Designing, implementing, and using a common platform to monitor system-level and application-level trends. Predicting the future with past data.
- Automate: Creating a private cloud and supporting services with an eye toward repeatability, simplicity, and correctness.
- Ensure Reliability: Keeping the site available no matter what happens through good design, solid implementation, performance tuning, and capacity planning.
- Add Locality: Adding additional data centers and points of presence around the world for increased performance and reliability.
- Improve Networking: Architecting a globally available platform that meets Square's ideals of simplicity, reliability, and elegance.
- Improve Security: Working with the Security team to ensure that every aspect of Square's infrastructure complies with the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Create our private cloud.
- Design and implement improvements to our monitoring system.
- Make our build and deployment system more delightful.
- Build and refine our configuration management system.
- Create infrastructure that makes it easy for Square engineers to build high-availability systems.
- Experience in large scale environment (hundreds to thousands of hosts/servers)
- Experience with scalability of Unix/Linux
- Experience with developing tools and frameworks for automation
- Linux/Unix experience
- CentOS, Puppet experience
- Graphite experience
- Ruby, Python, Perl (for automation) experience
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis experience
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Juniper networking equipment experience