Partner Engineer – Hardware Systems
Engineering | Palo Alto or San Francisco, CA
Cloudera offers enterprises a powerful new data platform built on the popular Apache Hadoop open-source software package. We unlock the storage and processing technologies of the world’s biggest Web, telecom, medical, financial and government companies by allowing our growing list of global customers to easily and efficiently use Hadoop to solve problems and profit from all their data.
Hadoop is a powerful data-management platform that can:
* Consolidate your data, structured or complex, in a single repository for comprehensive analysis.
* Store your information inexpensively and reliably, driving down platform costs and allowing you to keep all your data online for use.
* Perform sophisticated, detailed processing and analysis of that data at very high speed.
Cloudera is looking for an Engineer to join the Partner Engineering team. This role is a senior level engineering position that focuses on helping our hardware partners design systems that work with Hadoop. The Partner Engineering team help partners make critical decisions in the design, development, and deployment of large scale data storage and processing systems from hardware and throughout the software stack. Qualified individuals can not only build distributed data processing systems, but can explain complex subjects to others such as distributed filesystem basics, techniques for cross data center replication, the benefits of different data storage subsystems, and the way these systems interact with the kernel and hardware under various workloads.
- Experience in managing complex, distributed systems
- Strong system administration skills with Linux, Solaris, and other Unix environments, including shell scripting
- Experience with one or more scripting languages such as python
- Strong troubleshooting and performance tuning skills (TCP/IP, DNS, File system, Load balancing, etc)
- L2 vs. L3 networking, network architecture, VLANs, hardware device design basics
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- Understanding of configuration management systems (e.g. Puppet, Chef) and concepts behind mass configuration
- Experience with hardware selection and capacity planning
- Understanding of common system monitoring tools
- Knowledge of setting up and running Hadoop clusters a plus
- Experience with Java a plus
- Manage the technical relationship of multiple, highly visible partners
- Help hardware partners design systems and product features that support Hadoop and other ecosystem products
- Work with Product Management and the rest of the Engineering team to prioritize features necessary for product integration
- Work with Business Development to identify strategic partners and opportunities
- Help the field-facing teams understand current partner offerings
- Help with the creation of reference architectures documenting partner/Cloudera solutions
- Support partners in building proper development and testing environments