About SK Planet, Inc.:
SK Planet is a globally recognized and respected leader in innovative mobile solutions. As part of the 3rd largest conglomerate in Korea, we operate many of the country’s most successful businesses, including the leading N-Screen video service (Hoppin), the largest app store (T-Store), and the most popular virtual shopping service (11 St).
We are now looking to achieve success beyond the Korean market by leveraging our considerable assets and expertise to establish a significant US presence. Our first step has been to set up a dynamic new company in San Francisco unlike typical venture-backed startups in the valley that are burdened with uncertain funding and limited in their scope of activities. With the committed, long-term support of a billion dollar plus parent company, our “startup” is armed with the resources necessary to pursue multiple product categories and address large scale market needs.
Our primary focus is to create mobile content and services that drive everyday consumer commerce. Our first such app, called Styletag, allows users to tag thousands of shared images of fashion items that lead to discovery and procurement. Ultimately, we plan to leverage the platform components of Styletag to build more products similarly integrated with e-commerce but focused on different verticals beyond fashion. In addition, we will also design and develop mobile apps that are linked to offline, 'brick and mortar' commerce. Ultimately, we aim to transform today's common online/offline shopping processes into seamless, integrated mobile experiences where consumers continually find, acquire, and enjoy goods with minimal thought or effort.
Beyond pursuing our commerce-centric product strategy, we have also assembled a proven team of product developers who are focused on two areas related to the innovative world of mobile games - interactive entertainment (IE) and game based learning (GBL). For IE, our team is pursuing a product mash-up strategy aimed at creating new and disruptive categories in mobile entertainment. For GBL, we are designing products that will help assess and improve the academic performance of K-6 students in creatively fun and engaging ways.
Our goal is to improve people's lives by infusing joy and simplicity in the otherwise uninspired daily experiences that normally fill our days, such as shopping for clothes, texting, or doing homework. Join us now in creating transformative products and share our vision of Inspiring Everyone on the Planet! Working at SK Planet, Inc.:
Our US operations are still in start-up mode but growing rapidly. We have an open and collaborative office based in San Francisco’s SOMA district, just 2 blocks from both the CalTrain and AT&T Park. We promote a very open and entrepreneurial environment that allows for new ideas and great motivation. Job Snapshot:
SK Planet, Inc. is all about building awesome apps across a spectrum of consumer product areas, presenting you with a unique canvas to unleash your creative skills. Mobile. Local. Social. We’ve got it. You’ll communicate cross functionally in a small Agile development team to rapidly develop 21st century client- server solutions, your experience guiding the team around common design, scale and performance pitfalls and at the same time inspiring others with your hands on technical contributions. Responsibilities:
Required Skills / Experience:
- Leverage technical expertise in Ruby on Rails and Java to drive the engineering effort in a Agile rapid development shop, including effective written and verbal communication.
- Own and implement major parts of server-based solutions for consumer facing mobile services.
- Oversee roll out of scalable and fault tolerant backend services in the cloud.
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure an effective Agile process with incremental feature delivery.
- Stay on top of evolving technologies and companies in areas like MVC frameworks, queuing, caching and database technologies.
- 4+ years of relevant software engineering experience, including development and deployment of PHP and Java-based server systems.
- 2 years coding experience with Ruby on Rails.
- 2 years coding experience with Java. Experience with C/C++ and PHP a plus..
- Demonstrated experience with Java based server technology, including the J2EE API, and technologies such as Struts, Spring and Hibernate. Experience with the Play framework a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to design complex event driven client-server systems.
- Experience as a member of an Agile development team
- Demonstrated understanding of networking protocols, in particular HTTP.
- Socket-level network server programming experience.
- Experience with messaging related technologies like SS7, SMS, MMS, XMPP, SMTP, IMAP.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL and Oracle) and NoSQL databases (one of MongoDB, Cassandra, Riak, Redis, memcached).
- Experience with integrating with third party APIs including social networks and payment/billing systems.
- Experience designing and building multithreaded and asynchronous systems.
- Expert understanding of performance issues, and real-world experience designing systems to handle massive scale.
- Experience with deploying services into a cloud computing environment to support fault tolerance and scalability.
- Demonstrated ability to create Design and Functional Specification documents.
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to create effective technical documents and also present to a group.
- Self-driven technical leader that inspires others to action through their own actions.
- Willingness to share and mentor other members of the technical team.
- Active in the Open Source community. Share your projects on GitHub with us.
Benefits and Perks:
- B.S. or preferably M.S. degree in a computer related engineering field (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science) or equivalent work experience.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental & Vision (100% Company paid)
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Commuter Check
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) + company match
- Generous Vacation Pay + Sick Pay + Holiday’s
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
And many more to come as we grow our team!