Engineering | Vancouver, Canada
OpenDNS is an Internet security company that’s transforming the way IT departments secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. In 2012 OpenDNS launched Umbrella, a new line of cloud-delivered Internet security services that, for the first time ever, allow IT departments to extend security off the network and actually protect users wherever they roam. OpenDNS built Umbrella on top of our rock-solid foundation: the world’s most loved and trusted DNS service that’s used today used by 50 million people around the world.
Working at OpenDNS means being surrounded by passionate, intelligent and creative people that are determined to disrupt the Internet security industry with endless innovation, world-class research and unrivaled products and services. It’s a place where the best ideas are quickly transformed into products, features, campaigns and company-wide practices, so it won’t be long before you witness the results of your hard work. But don’t just take our word for it. We’ve seen nearly 100% year-over-year usage growth, have been cash flow positive since 2007, and we carry the endorsement of leading VC firms Sequoia Capital and Greylock Partners and thousands of happy customers.
About the team:
Infrastructure Engineering consists of Network Engineering, Systems Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering and Security Engineering - together, we build core Internet infrastructure, security applications and distributed systems at scale. Our environment processes 700,000+ requests per second, across 20 data-centers and cloud infrastructure providers.
Network Engineering is responsible for architecture, development, implementation and operations of the telecommunications network. The team manages all aspects; facilities (rack, power, cooling, cabling etc.), routing, switching, firewalls, transit, peering and the global network.
We are committed to getting it done... properly, the first time.
- Experience building and running a high-transactional, 24x7 production environment
- Extensive experience with Juniper and Cisco routers
- Extensive experience with IP routing protocols including BGP, IS-IS, OSPF
- Experience with traffic engineering techniques in BGP
- Experience with Peering at Internet Exchanges and working with Transit providers
- Expert knowledge of both layer 2 switching and layer 3 routing
- Experience in redundancy and high-availability protocols in networking designs
- Experience with network virtualization; MPLS, VPLS, VRF, VLAN, VSS.
- Experience with tunneling protocols; IPSEC, GRE, L2VPN/L3VPN & L2TPv3
- Sound diagnostic ability; DDoS mitigation, packet-loss, latency or throughput problems
- Experience with network security
- Experience with netflow and IPv6 is a definite asset
- Experience with quality-of-service design and implementation
- Familiarity with systems engineering, grid/cluster computing and programming theory
- Excellent knowledge and experience with object-oriented programming
- Experience with Shell, Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
Perks At OpenDNS: Did we mention the perks? The office is rich with open spaces for collaboration, the latest tech tools and toys and a fully stocked kitchen to help you recharge. Come work with us, and be part of the team that’s revolutionizing Internet security.
- Innovative -- We aren't a social networking or Web 2.0 photosharing site. We work on core Internet protocols and make them better.
- No ladders to climb -- We keep a relatively flat corporate structure that promotes fast movement and flexible teams.
- Meritocracy -- The best ideas win, regardless of where they come from.
- Time off to relax -- As a startup, we work our butts off. That's why it's important to get away to clear your mind from time to time. Three weeks and 10 company holidays make that easy.
- Technologists -- We are a company of engineers and technologists passionate about delivering a better Internet.
- Food -- Hard work makes you hungry. We keep a well-stocked kitchen with catered lunches throughout the week.
- Frosty beverages – Happy hours are planned throughout the month to get to know your coworkers outside the office.
- Breakfast by the Founder/CEO -- The early bird gets the worm, or in our case waffles on most Wednesdays, served by our Founder/CEO.
- Insurance -- We've got you covered from your head to your toes. Medical, Dental and Vision.
- 401(k) -- We're set up to help our team members practice responsible fiscal management.