Systems EngineerLocation: San Diego, CA
Shifts: Days, Nights & Weekends
ServiceNow, The Enterprise IT Cloud Company, is the industry-leading cloud platform provider for building enterprise applications. We are redefining markets and changing the perception of enterprise software. Our cloud platform allows enterprise IT to bring together business strategy, application design and operations in a powerfully simple solution.
To sustain our explosive growth, we are looking for drivers—people who thrive on responsibility and live for the next big challenge. We seek to employ the brightest and most forward-thinking talent on the planet, and we want to hire people who have their best work ahead of them, not behind them. Accelerate your career and succeed in an environment where you can make an impact daily. We invite you to join in to stand out.Opportunity
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer. As a key member of the Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team, you will be responsible for architecting, building and managing the global cloud infrastructure that runs our SaaS product. This is an opportunity to be at the core of building a Cloud SaaS platform that will transform the industry!
As a member of the Cloud Infrastructure Systems Engineering team you will work closely with fellow team members across the company. You will be responsible for:
- The primary focus of this role is customer service and support.
- Participate in on call rotation for one week out of an average every 4-6 weeks
- Operating the Cloud Infrastructure to the highest standards of professionalism and availability
- Performing proactive daily system monitoring including responding, triaging, troubleshooting and remediating incidents based on standard operating procedures combined with a broad knowledge of systems administration and networking principles
- Verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups, clones and migrations
- Repairing and recovering from hardware or software failures. Coordinating and communicating with impacted stakeholders and customers, escalating where appropriate.
- Maintaining operational, configuration, and other Standard Operating Procedures · Identifying and collaborating with appropriate teams to improve monitoring, automation, process and the general quality of the Cloud service.
- Provide excellent support to ServiceNow Clients.
This is a great opportunity to help us lead the industry in operating the next Cloud Infrastructure.Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in monitoring, systems administration, understanding of the components of software infrastructure, including hardware platforms, OS, virtualization, application, databases, web and application servers. Prior experience in systems administration, monitoring and managing a large-scale server infrastructure is highly desirable. Strong Linux expertise is a must. Candidate must have good communication skills and work well in a collaborative team environment. Other requirements
- CS degree with 5+ years of related experience or 5+ years of proven expertise
- Ability to work with high-value customer administrators and developers
- Knowledge of Linux kernel, command line and systems diagnostics (RHCSA certification preferred, not required)
- Working knowledge of installing, implementing or maintaining one or more of the following technologies; LDAP/AD, SSO, Email Infrastructure, WebServices (SOAP, REST)
- Familiarity with remote administration via SSH, SNMP, WMI or powershell
- Familiarity with MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Cassandra or similar technologies
- Understanding of Apache/Tomcat and the LAMP stack; some experience with Java is a plus
- Familiarity with Networking Technologies such as routing, switching and load balancing
- Experience with systems and network performance and availability monitoring and analysis as well as configuration management platforms (Nagios/Icinga, Cacti, Netcool, Monolith, Puppet, cfengine, chef)
- Experience dealing with technical end-users in a support role
- Good understanding of IT Help Desk and service management along with good understanding of the ITIL framework
- Strong desire to learn new technology
- Strong desire for career advancement
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THIS ROLE: Candidates must be able to meet all federal government security screening requirements as indicated: Federal security screening requirements call for applicant to verify U.S. Citizenship. Additional customer screening requirements may include additional items such as, but not limited to: specialized agency background checks (either national or local) and fingerprinting, as well as the ability to obtain a government personnel security clearance.Work Environment
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits, and a professional, yet relaxed atmosphere.