Engineering | San Francisco, CA, United States
SKOUT is an exciting, Andreessen Horowitz funded start-up company. We are a location-based social networking start-up and the leader in people discovery. Our mobile applications help our millions of users meet others in their immediate vicinity. We are a small company delivering big things and are looking for great people to help define the future of our company and the industry. We are building the future platform for meeting new people and discovering what’s going on around you.
SKOUT is seeking a skilled, positive and energetic Data Scientist to join the team! The successful candidate has excellent scripting and SQL abilities, and enjoys combining analytic and development skills with business acumen to provide our product and management teams with the data and insights that will drive our continued success. The candidate will participate in product development teams as data guru, build out new data-heavy tools, and help maintain our big data infrastructure.
- Participate in product development teams by executing advanced ad-hoc queries and interpreting results
- Test out new product ideas by developing experiments, performance metrics and A/B tests
- Develop and maintain our data-intensive internal tools to support decision making. Tools range from user engagement dashboards and lifetime value models to performance marketing engines.
- Develop and maintain our MySQL business intelligence data infrastructure
- Perform detailed data exploration and validation to separate genuine phenomena from spurious anomalies
- Provide reporting and performance monitoring to product, growth, revenue and management teams
- Develop new insights and analyses that inform decisions and help us continue to delight the people using our mobile apps
- Discover and escalate anomalies in the network by daily monitoring, such as conversion rates, arpu, dau/mau, signup rates on different platforms, etc.
- Bachelors, M.S. or PhD in a relevant technical field such as Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- A strong knowledge of statistics and data analysis with experience in machine learning techniques (supervised and unsupervised learning), time series analysis, and experiment design
- Expert knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Octave or Python
- Experience working with relational databases and SQL from the client side and the ability to write complex SQL queries
- A flexible analytical approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
- Experience working with large data sets to solve problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to adapt complex methodologies and analytical results to business needs, and convey them in an effective non-technical manner
- Working knowledge of UNIX and remote computing
- Prior hands-on experience with a scripting language (Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.) or a compiled language like Java, C/C++, etc. and the ability to write reusable, efficient code to automate analyses and data processes
- Familiarity with data visualization software and techniques, knowledge of product space
- Experience with the Hadoop technology stack (HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, Hbase, Flume)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Elastic Cloud Compute, and Elastic MapReduce
- Prior experience in a social networking company
- Works well independently and collaboratively on a team
- Successful in deadline driven environent