Do you find satisfaction in creating products that make a difference in peoples’ lives? Do you want to create the interfaces for the next generation of medical devices? Continuum is seeking a UI designer to develop interactions (primarily screen-based) for medical devices and other complex equipment.
- Design effective user interactions for medical devices, consumer products, and other complex devices. Able to work across platforms including embedded screens, web and mobile.
- Design interfaces for screen and non-screen physical interactions.
- Be able to work from rough hand sketches to fully developed architectures for complex systems.
- Collaborate closely with experts in different domains such as design strategists, human factors experts, industrial designers, and software engineers, as well as work independently.
- Work in medical contexts (including hospital operating rooms and ICUs, physician offices, labs, patient homes, etc.) to understand and define project needs.
- Create frameworks such as use-cases and flowcharts to provide structure for development.
- Design navigation structures, displays, controls, screen layouts, and symbols and icons based on user insights and understanding.
- Author UI style guides and specifications.
- Position requires you to meet minimum standards for gaining entrance to hospitals, including basic inoculations and tests (tuberculosis). Continuum will provide these.
- Expert ability to translate users’ needs into architectures for interfaces for complex systems.
- Flow diagramming skills (ex., Visio).
- Produce screen layouts in various levels of fidelity (e.g. paper prototypes, wireframes, or Flash simulations) to support user testing.
- Must thrive on ambiguity and constant change, keeping the end goal in mind.
- Familiarity with medical environments and terminology.
- Must work well on tight schedules, and be able to plan and keep the schedule.
- Knowledge of software engineering/programming development processes is helpful.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong graphic, typography, and visual design skills.
- Advanced Flash creation and scripting skills to develop high-fidelity prototypes.
- Strong audio design skills.
- Prior experience of designing user interfaces for medical devices required.
- Human-Computer Interaction degree (or equivalent experience) with at least 3 years of work experience.
- Experience with touchscreen, mobile, and web platforms required.
- Ethnographic research skill and experience is a bonus.
- Audio design experience is a bonus.
IMPORTANT: Online Application Process In addition to a resume and cover letter, please provide a portfolio of relevant work samples. Only applications with portfolios will be considered.