Healthcare delivery is undergoing tremendous change, both in terms of technologies and peoples’ expectations for UI design as they consider their smartphones the new benchmark for control and usability. New capabilities —sensing, communications and data analysis— and new needs emerge every day.
Continuum is designing the devices and services for the future of medical care. We are seeking a UI designer passionate about great design who works from a human-centered-design perspective to develop interaction flows and interfaces for medical devices and other complex equipment. Job Description:
- Design effective user interactions for medical devices, consumer products, and other complex devices. Able to work across platforms including embedded screens, web and mobile.
- Design interfaces for screen-based, physical and emerging interaction models.
- Work iteratively from rough hand sketches to fully developed architectures for complex systems.
- Collaborate on multidisciplinary teams with experts in different domains: strategists, human factors experts, industrial designers, and software engineers.
- Conduct learning and testing in medical contexts (including hospital operating rooms and ICUs, physician offices, labs, patient homes, etc.) to understand and define project needs.
- Create frameworks such as use-cases and flowcharts to provide structure for development.
- Design navigation structures, displays, controls, screen layouts, and symbols and icons based on user insights and understanding.
- Author UI style guides and specifications.
- This position requires you to meet minimum standards for gaining entrance to hospitals, including basic inoculations and tests (tuberculosis). Continuum will provide these.
- Special projects and assignments as business dictates.
- Expert ability to translate users’ needs into architectures for interfaces for complex systems.
- Flow diagramming skills (ex., Visio).
- Strong graphic, typography, and visual design. Facility producing screen layouts at increasing levels of fidelity (e.g. paper prototypes, wireframes, to html/css simulations) to support user testing.
- Must thrive on ambiguity and project evolution, keeping the end goal in mind.
- Familiarity with medical and regulatory context, environments, and terminology.
- Project planning: defining schedules for self and team.
- Knowledge of software engineering/programming development processes is helpful.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Software development (e.g. html) skills to develop high-fidelity prototypes.
- Sound design.
IMPORTANT - Online Application Process:
- Prior experience of designing user interfaces for medical devices required.
- Human-Computer Interaction degree (or equivalent experience) with at least 5 years of work experience.
- Experience with touchscreen, mobile, and web platforms required.
- Ethnographic research skill and experience is a bonus.
In addition to a resume and cover letter, please provide a portfolio of relevant work samples. Only applications with portfolios will be considered. Equal Opportunity Employer:
Continuum is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.