Senior Software Developer - Data Platform
Technology | Santa Monica, CA
While most people think of TV shows when they think of Hulu, at Hulu we pride ourselves in being a technology company first. Over the last year, we've scaled our service to handle over 30 million users and over 1 billion streams per month. We've architected a content distribution platform to store, transcode, and deliver petabytes of video on commodity hardware. We even managed to launch our own video ad server while building a subscription service that provides users with unfettered access to their favorite shows on PCs, TVs, gaming consoles, and mobile devices.
We're looking for a developer to build our data analytics infrastructure utilizing Hadoop and other big data technologies. Leverage terabytes of data each month and work closely with engineering, product, and business teams to measure, analyze, and understand Hulu's complex and growing data store. Also, help evangelize data analysis within Hulu via regular tech talks and hallway conversations.
At Hulu, influence is a function of the strength of your ideas and technical skills more than your job title. An entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for technology are critical to succeeding in this position.Responsibilities
- Develop, scale, and stabilize the data platform for the entirety of Hulu
- Contribute to the design, the architecture and implementation of a data-engineering infrastructure
- Implement solutions using Hadoop and help to contribute back to the open source community
- Invent novel solutions to challenging technical problems
- Diagnose and debug issues in production environments
- Collaborate with researchers, program managers, and product designers in an open, creative environment
- Strong programming (Java/C#/C/C++ or other related programming languages) and scripting skills
- At least four years of relevant software engineering experience
- Expertise with at least one major database system (MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)
- Strong knowledge of database development, administration and reporting
- Strong knowledge of data architecture and datawarehousing concepts
- Strong SQL/TSQL development skills
- Independent, energetic, highly technical, and capable of driving for results under pressure and ambiguity
- Experience with Hadoop development and administration a plus
- Experience with big data or datawarehousing systems
A few questions to help identify if you will be a good fit. If you answer yes to these questions then we hope to speak to you soon:
- Do you think digging into big data and looking for nuggets is fun?
- Are you an active developer in the open source community because it just makes sense to give back?
- Do you like to solve operational inefficiencies by engineering and building solutions rather than buying software or adding people?
Bachelor's and/or Master's degree in Computer Science. PhD is a plus (or equivalent industry experience)
We have high expectations of every member of our team and believe that this standard helps us deliver a service that is 'brain-spray awesome.'
Hulu is an equal opportunity employer
« Back to Openings