Vulcan seeks a mission-focused, seasoned and strategic leader with experience growing an organization, leading an executive management team, and instilling a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals for the role of President and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
The President and COO has P&L responsibility for Vulcan Capital and Vulcan Real Estate and is responsible for management and leadership of Finance, HR, Legal, Personal Services, Art Collection and Technology. The President and COO will manage a team of approximately 600 individuals.
The President and COO will be the first point of contact for ownership on any issues pertaining to asset management, personal service and functional information, and has operational responsibility for personal assets such as estates, aircraft and yachts.
The President and COO provides the strategy, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to ensure operating efficiency.
While it is essential that the President and COO bring efficient and effective experience to increase the productivity of the organization, it is also critical that this leader retain the creative spark that drives the vision of changing and improving the way we live, learn, do business, and experience the world.
The President and Chief Operating Officer will work closely with the Executive Committee.
- Accountability for the performance of the organization, including the establishment of goals, benchmarks and key performance indicators for management of the operations group while preserving the creative spark that drives the vision.
- Providing direction to other senior leaders to identify, make recommendations and implement solutions for strategic business and key organizational planning.
- Advising and updating the Founders on key decisions and implications.
- Overseeing and sponsoring the implementation of effective company programs that build core competencies and organizational values.
- Representing the Company at various community activities; Meeting and networking regularly with business, community and governing leaders.
- Recruiting, hiring and managing key leaders and contributing to building an organizational culture with high performance standards and clear accountability.
- Conducting regular staff meetings and following up on decisions made in meetings with the Founders.
- Growing the organization over time, scaling staffing in line with the needs of the business
- Instilling a high performance culture throughout the organization; establishing metrics for performance and holding leaders responsible for delivery of clearly articulated objectives.
- Holding P&L responsibility across the organization and driving P&L performance among the key leaders in his/her organization.
- Serving as the first and primary point of contact for the Founders on any issues embedded in the President and COO’s organization
- Providing the strategy, management and vision to ensure that there is the appropriate infrastructure and people to serve the organization as a whole, including operational, administrative and financial systems.
Qualifications & Experience
The successful candidate will be a seasoned and respected professional with at least 20 years of increasingly responsible experience within large, complex, multi-unit businesses including sophisticated financial services companies, large private investment offices or multi-asset class investment firms. Key factors for success include:
- Ability to conceptually understand a broad range of seemingly disparate industry sectors and see the cohesiveness and potential intersections where value can be derived. When appropriate, the ability to dive into the details that provide a broader understanding.
- Proven executive leadership, excellent verbal and written communication skills, team building and problem solving skills are essential.
- Exceptional financial knowledge, prior P&L responsibility, demonstrated understanding of business processes, proven analytical and strategic thinking and planning capabilities.
- Experience with complex negotiations, and/or capital markets highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to build successful and collaborative relationships with the CEO and other Executive team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an innovative spirit is essential.