Director, Data Engineering
Software Engineering | Oakland, CA
We are a motivated group of people who have a blast creating the building blocks to support and scale one of the biggest consumer websites in the US. Every day, we innovate and learn so we can build infrastructure and technologies that power the next generation of search and content experiences on a global level.
As a top 10 US web site with hundreds of millions of users, we are no stranger to collecting and processing BIG data. We leverage the latest and greatest in technologies and best practices to create data systems and insights that help drive this business and define our products every day. Intelligence from processing that data is key to our daily business success. We are looking for a leader who can manage a team of data engineers, work with key business stakeholders to own the core Ask.com data pipeline, and ensure it feeds a best-in-class data platform.
You are a passionate technical manager with strong data crunching skills. You get excited defining and leading engineering efforts for logging, processing, storing and delivery of analytics data. You have a passion for coaching and mentoring teams. You take action on creative solutions and ideas. You thrive in a team environment, knowing that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You look at problems from different angles and seek out fresh perspectives.
- Design and build scalable infrastructure and platform to collect and process very large amounts of data (structured and unstructured), including streaming real-time data.
- Architect the Ask.com data pipeline to meet the needs of an aggressively growing company.
- Hands-on management and mentoring of a team of Data Platform Engineers.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to understand, document and prioritize key technology decisions, processes and business needs for data and intelligence.This will require an extensive technical background and experience with working on big data in a highly distributed environment.
- Work with business analysts and business stakeholders to help define technology needs for the logging, processing, storage and presentation of data in a manner that delivers business value
- Liaise with other development and reporting teams through the implementation process of new reporting systems.
- Create, define and deliver new processes that will enable better development efficiencies.
- Own a road map to automate and key reports in a consistent and scalable fashion.
- 10+ years of software development experience using multiple programming languages. Experience building large scale distributed data processing systems/applications or large-scale Internet systems. Cloud computing experience a plus.
- Strong experience with distributed systems and computing systems development.
- Hands-on engineering skills.
- Experience with a range of big data technologies such as Hadoop, Pig, and Hive.
- Knowledge of meta-data specification in data dictionaries and automated data verification a plus.
- Self-directed with strong project management skills and ability to lead initiatives and teams toward common goals in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Must have a strong voice for data and reporting quality and best practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and analytical skills for working with internal clients.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science/Engineering. Higher degrees preferred.
« Back to Openings