Senior Software Engineer - Search Marketing (Oakland)
Software Engineering | Oakland, CA
Join the #1 brand and top Web property focused on answering people’s questions. At Ask.com, we’re building a next-generation Q&A service – spanning both the Web and mobile devices -- that combines the power of search with insight from real users.
Our proprietary algorithms crawl the web for question and answer pairs (400 million and growing), fueling one of the biggest Q&A databases on the Web. This unique technology, combined with answers from real users in our community, makes Ask.com the most comprehensive Q&A service around. At Ask, we empower each individual to succeed, communicate their ideas, and take action.
Software Engineering in support of the Search Engine Marketing team at Ask.com is all about improving engineering excellence; we are working to make it more productive and fun. The Software Engineering Team develops internally targeted software and services with the goal of helping business group improve software quality. When you work here, you know your contributions will have a direct and immediate impact on the company. We are serious about creating and maintaining a company culture that is both innovative and fun, and we’re looking for great people to come join our team
The ideal candidate will be an experienced software engineer with a passion for coding excellence. You will bring your innovation, superior ability to problem solve and creativity to contribute to our continued success.
- Design, build, test, deploy and maintain massively scalable, highly available, modular software products.
- Drive continual improvement to system architecture.
- Strengthen our development methodologies and processes.
- Produce high quality code in an agile environment.
- Advocate programming best practices and standards.
Ask.com does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies. Accordingly, agencies are requested not to submit such resumes to our job postings, our employees, or any other part of our company. Recruitment agencies that nonetheless submit unsolicited resumes to Ask.com agree and acknowledge that the company is free to use them at its discretion, including without limitation directly contacting the candidate, and will not under any circumstances be responsible for any recruitment or similar fees related to such unsolicited resumes.
- Expert in Java.
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Competent with scripting in Bash, Python and/or Perl.
- Experience with traditional SQL databases and APIs.
- Experience with large scale NoSQL solutions such as Hadoop is a plus.
- BA/BS in Computer science, computer engineering or related technical field and 3 years experience in job offered or computer-related occupation.
« Back to Openings