Science and Engineering | San Francisco or Seattle, United States
The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation. This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible. If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
The Climate Corporation is looking for an experienced atmospheric scientist to solve real-world problems critical to agriculture in seasonal prediction and historical reconstruction of climate conditions. We develop algorithms for statistical inference and simulation of climate from surface weather observations, weather radar, satellite remote sensing, GCMs, and more. Our mission is to provide detailed probabilistic estimates of climate variability and weather events that enable farmers around the world to protect and improve their farming operations.
Active areas of research
- Analysis and interpretation of observations (e.g. satellite, weather stations, radar), and third party products (climate indices, reanalyses, seasonal outlooks)
- High-resolution statistical downscaling
- Ensemble reconstruction of historical weather from multiple proxies
- Dimensionality reduction and feature selection
- Extreme value analysis
- Statistical surrogate models/emulators
- Multivariate spatio-temporal stochastic processes
What you will do
- Collaborate with a diverse, interdisciplinary team including software engineers, agronomists, statisticians, machine learning specialists, mathematicians, and physicists in all aspects of your work.
- Analyse and interpret diverse climate observations, provide expert knowledge of weather patterns and climate signals, evaluate in-house models against best-in-class 3rd party products.
- Develop novel best-in-class models for past and future climatological conditions that will be incorporated in real-world products.
- Plan and execute original, applied research projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Be able to clearly communicate research findings and their relevance in both written and oral formats.
- Write beautiful, robust, testable, well-documented code.
What you bring to the team
- Ph.D. in atmospheric science, meteorology or climate physics.
- Deep understanding of atmospheric physics and implications for modeling past and future climatological conditions.
- Expertise in weather phenomena, particularly in major world agricultural regions.
- Experience in interpretation of climate signals and in developing skillful seasonal climate projections.
- Experience working with and interpreting real-world climatological observations.
- Strong command of an interpreted programming environment such as R, MATLAB, or equivalent.
- Experience with a high-level programming language such as Python or Java is a plus.
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to do whatever is necessary to develop innovative products that delight our customers.
- Ability to happily communicate and collaborate as a member of a fast-paced, high-performing team.
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of some of the most brilliant interdisciplinary minds in the industry. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible product and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks, drinks, fruits,coffees, and teas to help you get through the day
- Spend 25% of your time (2 solid weeks out of 8) exploring personally compelling topics through independent research/development work
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, kayaking, holiday yacht parties, and sporting events, etc.
- We sponsor hackathons, meetup groups, networking events, tech-talks, and conference trips. If you want to get involved in the tech community, we'll support your efforts
- We encourage all employees to better understand our customers by getting out of the office and hearing firsthand from the agents and farmers our products serve
- Energetic idea-driven work environment with an exciting culture
- Exciting world-changing opportunity - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on the world
- A driven, talented team that aims to make a large-scale impact through an innovative technology platform