Programming | Cambridge, MA, United States
This position is responsible for editing O’Reilly technical books on programming and related topics. The Editor drives efforts to support and expand titles from inception through distribution. The Editor must have the necessary skills to be able to decide which topics to cover, acquire authors, create and build relationships with key industry and community members, edit technical writing, determine when a book is ready to be reviewed, start production, and published—all on schedule. Properly executed, this position contributes significant publishing revenue to the organization while maintaining O’Reilly standards. The position reports to the Senior Supervising Editor and is located in our offices in Cambridge, MA with the option for partial telecommuting.
- Build and maintain a publication plan in the programming subject area.
- Establish and tend relationships with key industry and community contacts.
- Stay abreast of the technology and trends in the programming space.
- Find and acquire authors.
- Work closely with various internal departments; editors and production staff.
- Demonstrate effective development and management of multiple titles/projects and ensure that they publish on time and within budget; adjust release dates if needs arise; and communicate any pertinent changes with all associated internal partners.
- Work with O’Reilly personnel on audience development in O’Reilly topic areas, including blogging and finding material for posting on ORM and partner sites.
- Work with O’Reilly marketing personnel to develop, vet, review, and revise all marketing copy and materials, including cover copy and front/back matter in published materials; help ensure successful launch campaigns.
- Select and manage technical reviewers.
- Serve as in-house advocate for authors’ titles; work with PR, design, sales, and marketing to create a cohesive publishing effort for each title.
- Work with O’Reilly personnel on conference-based activities, such as encouraging authors to participate at our events.
- Develop and adhere to an editorial budget.
- Participate in industry events, trade shows, ORM conferences where appropriate.
- Participate in weekly editor and production meetings, providing all necessary assessments of production resources and issues associated with active titles; report on status of active titles.
- Support sales and marketing with detailed content information during the marketing and sales process.
- Identify problem areas in content and recommend solutions.
- Ensure program requirements are aligned with approved publishing plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced knowledge of the computer/technical book marketplace with an emphasis on programming, and other technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of editorial concepts and book publishing processes and functions – editorial, managing editorial, production, design, and copyediting, and how they interface
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Strong editorial and project management skills
- Strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to unravel particularly thorny manuscript problems
- Ability to discern what makes a good book, both in terms of audience and market requirements and the quality of a proposal
- Ability to work on tight deadlines
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Ability to write clearly and accurately on technical subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, vendors, multimedia developers, project managers, marketing managers, and sales reps
- Ability to maintain high professional standards in interacting with others—inside and outside of the company—at all times
- A strong interest in building a business beyond books with an emphasis on e-content and related delivery options
- 4-year college degree in English, communications, publishing, computer science, or other relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience
- 5+ years experience as an editor in technology topic areas
- 5+ years experience developing and managing budgets for book projects
- 5+ years experience developing authors and maintaining collaborative working relationships